1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Madison Square Garden (in 2023)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by H.L. Mencken, Jul 25, 2013.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I was at MSG back in April and while I didn't get a ton of time to explore it, it was easily by and large the most incredible arena I have ever seen in my life. I can't wait to go back and maybe get tickets to a shitty hockey game or something so that I can just walk around the arena for a few hours.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Maybe I've become a bit jaded and have been there too much but at the end of the day it's just an arena. No better
    or no worse than many.

What made it great for me was not the building itself but the events. For me especially college basketball. Even prior to
    The Big East Tournament. They used to have triple header Saturdays with 3 great college games , usually with St Johns
    in one of them.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The Dolan's have also benefited by tax relief at Radio City. This is a family who made their billions as a quasi
    public utility that guaranteed no competition for their cable business of which they took full advantage of
    using that leverage to fleece the general public who was stuck with them.

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/01/30/nyregion/for-radio-city-restoration-a-2.5-million-sales-tax-break.html

dixiehack likes this.
  4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

So if the renovations cost $1 billion, what would a new venue in Manhattan run?

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Who gived a fuck, $5 billion or $50 billion, the Dolams have the dough, let em pay it.

Draft saved Draft deleted