1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Mac Miller

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by typefitter, Sep 7, 2018.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Rapper, dead at 26 of an apparent overdose.

Mac Miller Dead at 26 of Apparent Drug Overdose

Had a soft spot for a few of his songs. The video for "Best Day Ever" begins with home footage of him rapping as a kid. Heartbreaking to watch today.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Couldn't wait til age 27 to OD.

3. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

RIP. He was an OK rapper but ODing so young is always depressing.

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Worst Day Ever.

Fred siegle and bigpern23 like this.
  5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Ouch.

Never heard of him until today. Based on that video, he was a pretty terrible rapper, but it's sad to see this happen to anyone.

7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Yeah, and then I saw this part:

And there's this ... in a doc made a few years ago, Mac said, "I'd rather be the corny white rapper than the drugged-out mess who can't even get out of his house. Overdosing is just not cool. You don't go down in history because you overdose. You just die."

Miller has battled substance abuse issues for years ... something that came up again in the wake of his breakup with Ariana Grande. The rapper wrecked his G-Wagon by wrapping it around a utility pole back in May and was arrested for DUI and hit and run. He fled the scene but cops say he later confessed at his home. He blew 2 times the legal limit.

8. bigpern23

I guess he didn't have to choose?

I really don't mean to sound cold or calloused about this, but I get the sense that the only reason this is news in any way is that he once dated Ariana Grande. I'm a middle-aged white man with an affinity for hip hop from the late '80s to probably 2012 (admittedly, my hip hop listening in the car has changed since my kid was born), so maybe I'm out of touch, but, honestly, this kid couldn't touch Vanilla Ice in a rap battle.

9. typefitter

He was a pretty popular rapper before he dated Ariana Grande. (I don't know her for shit, but I know him.)

Perhaps weirdly, given the time, his biggest hit was probably "Donald Trump" from 2011. It's just fun party rap.

10. typefitter

I'm just realizing he would have been, like, 19 when that came out. That's something.

11. bigpern23

Google shows his debut album sold 380K units, so he wasn't all that popular. None of his follow-ups ever approached that number. He never even reached Gold. The only reason anyone is talking about him today is because of her.

I'm going to bow out now because I'm doing something I hate to do — telling someone why so-and-so isn't worthy of whatever praise/hate they are receiving after a tragedy. I feel dumb for even starting down this path on an RIP thread, though I stand by the opinion that he's among the worst rappers I've ever heard.

12. bigpern23

It's fucking terrible.

Draft saved Draft deleted