1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Mac Davis

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Eddie Rabbit ... another early '80s cup of coffee guy.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

"I'm about to get knee-deep in it, Poot."

3. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Yesterday, when I was young – wait, that’s Roy Clark, try again Dan – In 1996, when I was kind of important, I had the privilege of meeting Mac Davis.

The folks from Baywatch came to Daytona Beach to shoot a pilot that would that would be an East Coast version of their popular show that also had racing, bikers and space shuttles. Yeah, overextension. Still, the cast included the Six Million Dollar Man himself Lee Majors, Baywatch alum Alexandria Paul (Very sweet young lady), two promising actors whose names I forget, a playboy centerfold who was much prettier in photos and Davis, who played the a Ron Rice-type suntan lotion mogul/anti-villain.

As the Film Office Director, I was involved in this, especially since the name of the show was “Daytona Beach.” I was invited to a cast pre-filming dinner and met all the above. When I introduce myself to “Mr. Davis,” he puts him arm around me and goes

“Dan, if we’re going to be friends, you’re going have to learn to call me Mac.”

OK, Mac.

I’m not saying we became best buds, but interacting with Mr…. “Mac” was a highlight of that surreal time of my adventures. One night shooting at New Smyrna Speedway, I had the family in toe per Mac’s request.

“Dan, delighted you brought the family,” Mac said as he greeted my then wife and mother-in-law. Then he met Jade, 5 years old at the time and goes “Jade, you like Barney? I have a song I sing to my grandkids …I love, you love me, let’s go beat up Barney ….
    “NOOOOOO,” Jade replied. “BARNEY IS NICE!” ….”I’m just kidding,” Mac replied. “Are we friends?” “OK”

I sent an e-mail to Kevin Beggs, the producer of that pilot who is now the head of Lions Gate Television this morning after learning the news. He also was reflecting on Mac’s passing today. I even called my ex, and we actually shared a laugh and the fond memory of that night at New Smyrna Speedway. I can’t think of a better tribute.

Thank you, Mac Davis.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I was just reading about this song. Turns out he wrote it for Aretha Franklin, but she didn't want it. Later, when Elvis was filming "Live a Little, Love a Little," musical director Billy Strange was looking for a song to go with a scene in which Elvis was trying to talk a young lady into leaving with him. He asked Davis to write a song for him and Davis told him he already had a song that would fit perfectly. He and Strange reworked the song a bit and Elvis sang it for the movie.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I strongly prefer Chuck Mangione.

But there was this contribution from Mac Davis back in the day:

6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Wrote "Kentucky Rain" for Elvis and "Pure Love" for Ronnie Milsap before hitting it big with "I Love A Rainy Night" and "Every Which Way But Loose." Died in 1998.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

My favorite Eddie Rabbitt song:

HanSenSE, 2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
  8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I caught him in the Rainy Night and Every Which Way era.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Speaking of Ronnie Milsap, this song still gets me every time I hear it.

And farther down the rabbit hole we go.

Matt1735 likes this.
  11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Well, then, if we're gonna rabbit hole ... Mickey Gilley.

12. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I like this one for Eddie Rabbitt. He was rolling through Montana and someone in the band suggested he write an old school song and he penned this post haste.

gingerbread likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted