1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Mac Davis

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Sep 30, 2020.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    “Hell, Poot, we're all whores; might as well be the best.”
    MAC DAVIS - Seth Maxwell

4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

My folks loved that song; it always seemed to come on when my mom had the radio on the county and western station.
    Of course we remember him in "North Dallas Forty." I remember another one he was in called "Cheaper to Keep Her," which was always on HBO for awhile. And, the less said about "The Sting 2" the better.
    The last thing I saw him in was a guest shot on comedian Rodney Carrington's short-lived sitcom about 10 years ago.

maumann likes this.
  5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I never knew this, either. Worth mentioning again.

6. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

And like Tom Petty, he made multiple "appearances" in "King of the Hill."

Chef2 likes this.
  7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Mac was a thing for a hot moment when I was a kid just getting into TV and movies and then I don't remember seeing him much again.

That was a long time ago.

8. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Big star as a singer; then a very big star as a singer with a network variety show - all before he ever acted.

Then "The Will Rogers Follies" on Broadway and on tour.

Odd, really interesting crossover/headliner career.

10. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Always thought ND40 was an underrated sports movie. Maybe the lack of a happy ending caused it to get overlooked. He and Nolte were great.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I love the book North Dallas Forty, but have mixed feelings about the movie. To me, it's enjoyable, but in a kitschy way. It's not just because athletes have changed since then -- even 35 years ago, I couldn't take Mac Davis seriously as the QB of an NFL team, and as bad as he was, Nick Nolte as a wide receiver was beyond ridiculous to me.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The first Broadway show I ever saw was “The Will Rogers Follies” with Davis. He put on a wonderful performance. RIP

Draft saved Draft deleted