1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Lyndon LaRouche

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by maumann, Feb 14, 2019.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

He always was pretty much an underground candidate.

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Well, it's a well-known fact, Sonny Jim, that there's a secret society of the five wealthiest people in the world, known as "The Pentavirate," who run everything in the world, including the newspapers, and meet triannually in a secret country mansion in Colorado known as "The Meadows."

Huggy and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I remember an election in Houston in the early eighties where the long time Democratic party county chair had a Slavic last name and the other candidate was named something like Johnson. Ignorant voters elected Johnson, and after he was elected it came out that he was a LaRouche follower. The party had to do a reorganization to take all the various powers away from the chairman as a result. I thought it was funny as hell at the time, but I'm certain that the party saw no humor in it whatsoever.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

For people who are unfamiliar with LaRouche - he kind of operated in the nexus of Art Bell, Alex Jones and Glenn Beck with a side order of L. Ron Hubbard.

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

He was the mayor of crazytown. I interviewed him once in like 1996 when he was running for president. He embodied the term lunatic fringe.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Back in 1980, there was one guy in my college dorm whose family was all-in on LaRouche. He was a piece of work.

In retrospect, a case can be made for LaRouche being the InfoWars starter kit, with all the wild conspiracy theories.

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

He should have been a right wing for the Montreal Canadiens.

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I first saw LaRouche before the '76 election, or maybe it was the '80. Dude's only advertising, beyond the seldom-seen yard sign, was that 30 minutes of network primetime time he bought every election cycle. He was my first introduction to conspiracy theories, which was pretty fascinating for a young kid. Of course he was batshit crazy.

10. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

Did anyone else ever have LaRouchies send you letters to the editor? I was at a small-town paper (4-5k circulation) about 20 years ago and there was one guy who wrote one or two pro-LaRouche letters a month, whether it was election season or not. The editor decided it was easier to just run them than deal with the angry phone calls when we refused to run them.

11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Always got a fanatical LaRouche supporter demanding airtime during my radio days. When told he could buy ads at the same rate as the other candidates, per FCC rules, he usually hung up before I could transfer him to sales.

BartonK likes this.
  12. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

His lunacy lives on in everyone who rails about the “deep state,” including the current President, who is effectively Lyndon LaRouche with a bolder attempt to compensate for male-pattern baldness.

Draft saved Draft deleted