1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Luke Perry

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Feb 28, 2019.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, dying young with "Rebel Without a Cause" on the resume -- especially in an era where screen stars were larger than life -- gives James Dean a cultural crown he'll never relinquish. My 85-year-old father-in-law played basketball with Dean in Fairmount, Indiana (a nugget that dazzles me to no end), and I've been up there a few times in the summer when the town has its annual "James Dean days" festival. It's impressive for a guy who has been gone for 64 years.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Little James Dean, up on the screen
    Wond'rin' who he might be
    Along came a Spyder and picked up a rider
    And took him down the road to eternity

James Dean, James Dean, you bought it sight unseen

You were too fast to live, too young to die, bye-bye
    You were to fast to live, too young to die, bye-bye
    Bye-bye, Bye-bye, Bye-bye, Bye, bye

maumann and playthrough like this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Imagine if James Dean lived long enough to appear on the Love Boat or Murder She Wrote.
    I remember thinking that the best thing that happened to Christian Slater's career was River Phoenix dying. I'd also say Lindsey Lohan's career crash helped Emma Stone out a ton.
    Dean? Jack Nicholson, Anthony Hopkins, Robert Duvall all probably ended up with roles that would have been Deans if he were still alive.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Sounds like Luke Perry needed yo borrow a coat from James Dean?

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

He always came across really well in interviews and never seemed to take himself too seriously. I mostly made fun of 90210 when I watched it with my girlfriend at the time, but he was easily the best actor of the bunch.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I always loved the "Friends" arguments on this site.
    A dopey show that never would have thrived in any other slice of time than the '90s.
    You could say the same of 90210.

7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Don’t underestimate how many people watch Riverdale.

8. DanOregon

Every generation has its own 90210. Room 222, Friday Night Lights, Glee, The OC, Saved By The Bell, The White Shadow....

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Easy on "The White Shadow." Watched the first-season episodes again not too long ago. Ken Howard was good. Writing was strong. Excellent show ... sure, it was "for its time," but they were willing to go places that many were not at the time.

10. DanOregon

I wasn't dismissing them - I was highlighting that every era has a show that captures a generation for better and/or worse.

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

What about “Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman”?

2muchcoffeeman and heyabbott like this.
  12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

As a teenager of the time of 90210, I'll say Perry was absolutely a cultural touchstone of my generation. Damn near the entire male populace of my school grew sideburns because of him. I didn't really get into the show, but my sister loved it, so I was forced to watch (we were a one-TV household). There was no bigger teen idol of the time apart from maybe that cute guy from New Kids On The Block, probably John.

Draft saved Draft deleted