1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Luke Perry

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Feb 28, 2019.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Always thought his Dylan McKay was one of the more interesting characters on 90210. Unlike the other characters - he didn't come off as a cliche but as an actual person. RIP. Sideburns forever.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

This is sad, and he’s way, way too young to go. But these comparisons to James Dean are silly. Perry had the looks, sure, but he was nothing like Dean in his acting. Dean, along with Brando, was one of the original method actors — see East of Eden — and Perry definitely wasn’t that.

Perry could do brooding, but I never got the sense it was anything but acting.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

This storyline held my attention in Season 6.

RIP Noxzema girl.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

He was James Dean to this generation, in terms of the cool factor, the pop culture impact. A whole generation of guys grew freaking sideburns bc of this dude. He was on the cover of Vanity Fair. I wasn't commenting on his acting chops. I've seen East of Eden. I've seen all of James Dean's movies, which isn't hard bc he only made three of them.

upload_2019-3-4_14-56-11.png

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

A whole generation? Hyperbole, and impossible to quantify.

If you want to talk Vanity Fair, here's a very partial google search list of men who have been on the cover: Leo, John Hamm, Bruce, Bradley Cooper, Chris Hemsworth, Groucho, Cruise and Pitt. Being on Vanity Fair is a one-off, not some indicator of a great cultural shift.

Look, I liked Perry. But in 10, 20 years, Dean is still going to be more of a cultural touchstone than Perry.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

So is Tori Spelling that generation's Meryl Streep?

I'm thinking the guy that ran the Peach Pit is Brando, but maybe he's a little more De Niro.

7. CD Boogie

I'm thinking you have a lawn you need to tell someone to get off of.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I always thought the first couple of years of the show were really good, because they tackled actual teen topics such as teen pregnancy, Steve trying to find his birth mother, and racial issue, before they fell into the “who’s sleeping with who and who’s cheating on who” soap opera.

Perry’s character was quite good in those first few years as an anti-hero. RIP

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Which Luke Perry project did you better think captured the spirit of James Dean, "Biker Mice on Mars" or "Dish Dogz"?

justgladtobehere likes this.
  10. CD Boogie

i'm talking about pop culture impact and not acting chops, but feel free to keep replying to imaginary posts.

11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

The Client

/stop fighting

cyclingwriter2 and HanSenSE like this.
  12. CD Boogie

how old were you in 1992? Did you watch 90210? It was a cultural touchstone like "Friends" later became. Is Jennifer Aniston a great actress? Debatable. What's not debatable is that a whole generation of women (wink) replicated the Rachel hairdo. James Dean resonates in large part bc he died when he was 24. So he's locked in time. He could very well have lived to be old, fat and eccentric like Marlon Brando.

Iron_chet likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted