1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Lt. Becker: Joe Santos dies at 84

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riptide, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

NEW YORK (AP) — Joe Santos, who played Lieutenant Dennis Becker on "The Rockford Files," has died at 84. Santos died Friday in Santa Monica, California, after a heart attack earlier in the week, according to his agent Alicia Beekman.

Santos' career spanned more than four decades, from a guest shot on "Naked City" in the early 1960s through a recurring role on "The Sopranos." But he was best known as Lieutenant Becker, the pal and grudging helpmate of L.A. private eye Jim Rockford (James Garner) on NBC's "The Rockford Files," which aired from 1974 to 1980 and scored him an Emmy nomination.

'Rockford Files' star Joe Santos dies at 84

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If they ever do a "Rockford" remake, getting a good Dennis Becker will be a key. Santos and Garner had a real good chemistry that was a key part of the show.

It was fun to see Santos pop back up on the Sopranos 25 years later.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Also a key role in a great Magnum PI episode

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I love seeing SoCal sites as they appeared in the 1970s and comparing them to now (or at least when I visit).

Friends there think it's old hat, which surprises me.

Draft saved Draft deleted