1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Louis Brewster

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Nov 27, 2019.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I've known Lou for most of my life, going back to when he and my dad played slow-pitch softball together in the mid-1970s.

Lou was also my boss for two years and hired me into my first full-time position, as a sportswriter and editor at the Daily Bulletin in 1994.

Nice job by Pete and Landon on the obit. I reached out to Landon after I heard about it on Monday night. He passed on Monday morning but there was no one to write the obit on Monday because of so many staff cuts.

Lou was a huge figure in the I.E., at high school events and certainly at California Speedway since its opening 20 years ago and most certainly at Fairplex for the drag races.

We kept in touch here and there over there years, especially when he became sports editor at the Sun in San Bernardino because that was a newer area for him to cover.

As mentioned, another loss in the I.E. sports journalism spectrum this year.

RIP. He'll be missed.

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

A funny story about Lou and John Force

LOUIS BREWSTER, DEAN OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA RACING WRITERS, PASSES | Competition Plus

A few years ago, at a media gathering at Pomona, Calif., John Force was regaling everyone with a story about misplacing one of his championship rings.

He had stopped at a fast-food restaurant for some breakfast and a cup of coffee. After leaving there, he happened to look down at his hand and saw the precious ring was missing from his finger. And that sent him into a tizzy.

He sped back to the restaurant and frantically told the workers there what had happened, and together they tore through bags of garbage looking for the bling. Finally, Force stopped to think for a minute and trace his steps of that morning. He looked in the newspaper box from which he had bought the Inland Valley Daily Bulletin to read as he enjoyed breakfast. And there sat the Funny Car champion’s dazzling ring – right on top of the stack of remaining newspapers, a good hour after he had bought his own copy.

“And that,” Force said to Daily Bulletin sports editor / writer Louis Brewster in the audience, “is proof that nobody reads your s---!”

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

That wouldn't be a very funny story if told by a sports figure these days.

But back then, when Force (and Brewster) were well-known in papers that were being read regularly? Great.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Holy shit. This hits hard.

I only worked for Lou for a short time, but he was one of the most decent people I've met in newspapers — or anywhere, really. Just a great, great guy.

He took me out to eat before I left, and that day he told many stories about Force and Earnhardt and other racing figures. My next to last day at the Sun, he arranged for me, buckweaver and Gluck to get a champ car ride on the California Speedway infield track, three laps, fast as hell and where's the speed up button? I can't remember the driver's name, but he could pilot that car.

Lou would talk about his honey-do list at home and said his wife hired a Mexican — him.

Shit, man. I corresponded with Lou infrequently after I left, but I've never forgotten him. This is like losing an uncle.

RIP, Lou. No more landscaping for you.

MileHigh likes this.
  6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Out to eat? Had to be Burgertown.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Claim Jumper

MileHigh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted