1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Lou.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Nov 20, 2011.

1. joe

joe Active Member

Here's what I believe: No person is truly gone as long as memories of that person exist. My dad, dead 11 years now, is just dead — not gone. As long as someone remembers someone else, that person isn't gone.

I don't believe in reincarnation. I'm not sure I believe there's a god. Raised big-C Catholic, I've been retired for more than 25 years.

When I'm dead and my sister and brother are dead, when everyone else who knew my dad is dead, then he'll be gone. But not until that time.

So what I'm saying is, Lou is dead. But he isn't gone. I don't know if this helps or not, 21, but it's what I believe. I'm sorry for your loss, but as this thread attests, Lou is very much alive in your and our memories. I can't think of a more fitting tribute.

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

My sympathies and deepest wishes to you for peace, calmness and strength, 21.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

SixToe, you know that parrot in your sig? Major point of discussion in today's rabbi meeting. Lola is alive and living in Tuscaloosa with Lou's third son's ex-girlfriend's brother. Apparently no one can stand the damn thing for very long, given that it randomly screams 'PENIS' and 'WHAT THE FUCK,' and with its life expectancy of 60-70 years, good chance I might get that parrot someday.

4. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

How has nobody thought of moving the parrot to a newsroom? It would fit right in.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Lou's only good black socks have a hole in the heel, so my mother has given the funeral director a pair of her own Ladies' Supp-Hose, for him to wear into eternity. That cannot be right.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Funniest RIP thread ever.

Sorry for your loss 21, and for your mom.

And, humor is the best way to get through these things. Remember the fun(or at least funny) times.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm worried about the condition of Lou's boxers.

8. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

I'm going to dribble apple juice on my tie on Thanksgiving.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss, 21.

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I've been meaning to change the sig but it makes me laugh every time I notice it.

Given that I don't laugh enough, I guess it's one of those little blessings.

Fitting that the bird is in Tuscaloosa. It could scream WHAT THE FUCK along with Saban during Alabama football gams.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Mr Rabinowitz has clogged the only working toilet.

Remind me when I get out of here, should I be so lucky, to change the thread title to Crossed Kugel, the Shiva Chronicles.

There are 300 people in this little condo, I guarantee maybe 20 of them know my mother or Lou. The rest follow the scent of lox.

The funeral was lovely, by the way.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Sadly business has kept me away from Boca and forcing me to say my final goodbyes to Lou from afar.

I been in constant contact with 21 and I know that all of your thoughtful notes of condolence here have provided her with a great source of comfort and laughter.

This Irish Catholic boy was apprehensive going to his first meet and great of 21's family and Lou was one of the first of many that 21 introduced me to. He welcomed me with open arms and I never looked back. There were times at family gatherings where it would be just Lou and I and he would look out at 21 in the distance, raise his glass and give me a wink and say "Boom you are a lucky man".

Can't help but think how we have now lost 2 greats of the SJ family this year - Lou and Spnited- One known through his posts and personal friendships and the other known only through the loving musings of 21.

Hopefully they have met above and are both looking down on us and smiling.

RIP Lou.

Draft saved Draft deleted