1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Lou.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Nov 20, 2011.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear. Prayers for you, your family and your Boom.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear this, 21.

3. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

I shed a tear for you, 21, and also laughed out loud at your subsequent post. You honored Lou in a way no one else could. I'm sure you are a huge source of comfort to your mom...and all her thriftiness.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I am very sorry for you and your family.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

A member of the extended family for the holiday season. Condolences.

6. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Sorry for your loss 21 and thoughts and prayers for you and your family. Your mom sounds so much like my mom with the soaps thing.

7. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Deepest sympathies to you and your family, 21. RIP Lou. Our pop-up turkey thermometer will be at half-staff.

8. So sorry for you, your family and, especially, your mother, 21.

You have paid one of the best tributes around through the years -- taking the foibles of family and finding the humor amid aggravation. It's the best way to keep your heart full, and I hope that strength helps you now when it will be harder to find laughter for a while.

Your post on this thread was beautiful and one more wonderful tribute. Sending you and your family comforting and healing thoughts.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

There is nothing I can add to the wonderful words on this thread, except to give my condolences.

RIP, Lou. Thank you for the memories.

Thinking of you and your family, 21.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I really can't begin to express what your good thoughts and PMs have meant to us...I wish I could share them with the rest of my family ('Hey, Mom? Regards from Machine Head!') but will probably keep them between Boom and me.

My mother has asked me to give part of the eulogy, I think to ensure (insure? no clue) that she is well-represented; his kids are not entirely fond of her, and they are also giving a eulogy, she is perhaps concerned that they might be, um, honest. Sort of wishing I had been a little kinder on those Giblet threads, all these years of writing about Mom and Lou, and I can't recycle a single graf.

Spent over an hour with my sister at Costco picking out plastic plates and coffee cups. She bought five pairs of fake Uggs. We ordered deli trays for 60 people and two large kugels. Wait til my mother finds out it cost $1000 for lean corned beef and kugel. 'LOU! [leaning over casket] A thousand dollars for trays, so your lazy brother can feed his I SAID A THOUSAND DOLLARS! FOR EDWIN TO FEED HIS FAT FACE! 21, tell Lou about the kugel, how can kugel cost so much, noodles, eggs, cream, raisins...did you order the kind with raisins, Lou loved the raisins, but not the kind with the cornflakes on top, Merle Margolin puts the cornflakes on top, REMEMBER MERLE MARGOLIN, LOU? WITH THE CURLY LIP?'

Anyway. Off to write a eulogy that makes Lou look good without making my mother look bad. Like that's even possible. Thank you all again for all the beautiful condolences.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I know it's wrong to spit take on an RIP thread -- especially when its one of our own... but day-um, 21.
    Here's hoping that your mother doesn't remark about your breasts in front of everyone when you're sitting shiva

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Damn, slappy, in my mind I pictured the same gentleman all these years.

Draft saved Draft deleted