1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Lou Reed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Oct 27, 2013.

1. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Wasn't a huge Lou Reed fan, but I liked his better stuff, and I really liked the New York album, especially Dirty Blvd.

The line in there about, "give me your tired, your poor, I'll piss on 'em. That's what the Statue of Bigotry says. Your poor, huddled masses, let's club 'em to death, get it over with, and dump 'em on the boulevard," is classic Lou.

RIP to a true original. I feel like another part of my youth is gone.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'd really like to sit through all of Lou Reed's albums, from The Velvet Underground and Nico through Lulu, at once.

I never will, to be honest, and it would take at least two days, but it'd be rather interesting.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I would think Metal Machine Music and Songs For Lulu would seriously test your resolve.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Always partial to this live set:

[​IMG]

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Critically, he has worse.

I'm listening to New York all the way through right now on YouTube (http://bit.ly/1dBMOdp), and it's fantastic. I don't think I've listened to this in full ever, though I certainly remember a bunch of the songs. It's dated in a way that The Velvet Underground's stuff isn't, but the music is great.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Tonight, I listened to Transformer, Berlin, Coney Island Baby and New York. Berlin still is my favorite. It's like Closer or Disintegration on the sad scale, but grittier and meaner.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I was one of those who bought it and didn't form a band, but still a great album . ..

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

And the colored girls say
    "Doo do doo do doo do do doo ..."

One of my favorite singers ever... "Perfect Day" is one of those songs that just gives me chills every time I hear it... Such a great song...

RIP...

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"Good Evening Mr. Waldheim" is always a blast.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=66qe76gkCxo

10. joe

joe Active Member

And, Pontif, how are you?

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

This is pretty cool, Herbie Flowers on the creation of the iconic bass line in "Walk on the Wild Side":

http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2013/10/28/herbie-flowers-the-story-behind-lou-reeds-walk-on-the-wild-side-bass-line/

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

So here's Reed with Leon Wilkeson, Ronnie Van Zant and Leslie West in 1974. Who'd have thought the fat guy would be the last one living from that group?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted