1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Lorenzo Charles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jun 27, 2011.

1. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Am I the only one that finds this graf at the end of the AP story a bit awkward:

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, Valvano was dirty as anyone in that era.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Attempts to reach Charles for comment were not immediately successful.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Hakeem stood in the lane.

In SI's 1983 preview, Curry Kirkpatrick's profile of him starts with that shot.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1121540/index.htm

5. Also forgotten is the fact that G Alvin Franklin came thisclose to stealing the ball upcourt, but yes, Lewis going conservative a little more than 48 hours after UH put on the greatest fast break display in Final Four annals doomed the Cougars.

Still not enough to deny him Hall of Fame honors. That he is not in is a joke.

6. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Probably the most replayed replay on NCAA Tournament highlights, Charles dunking the winning shot and Valvano's mad dash. R.I.P.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

i might beat y'all who say you're feeling old -- i covered lorenzo as a senior at brooklyn tech! had the same game, same perfectly-chiseled 6-7 physique, strong 'bounder defender, zero offensive game beyond layups/put-backs. a very nice, humble kid.

r.i.p., lo'. :'( :'( :'(

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Guy "Grandpa" Lewis looked as clueless as Hank Iba at the end of that game.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

"Show me a hero, and I will show you a tragedy"

-- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Is suicide even being considered?

Draft saved Draft deleted