1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Liz Taylor

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KJIM, Mar 23, 2011.

1. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Remind us Nick: How many Academy Awards has Raquel won?

2. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Westboro Baptist Church are preparing to spread their evil message at Elizabeth Taylor's funeral...Margie Phelps -- daughter of WBC Pastor Fred Phelps -- took to Twitter today to announce the church is going to picket non-lesbian Liz's funeral ... all because Liz was apparently some sort of gay "enabler" and (God forbid) an AIDS activist.

http://www.tmz.com/2011/03/23/elizabeth-taylor-funeral-westboro-baptist-church-protest-picket-margie-phelps/

3. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

TigerVols, that was one of the more entertaining posts I've read on this board lately. What an experience that all must have been.

I sat next to Vanilla Ice on a coach flight from LA to SF a couple years back. It was funny to think that someone who's fairly famous (albeit for being a joke) could fly coach and no one actually approached him before, during or after the flight.

Sorry for relating such a dumb story, but the contrast of following a Liz Taylor story with a Vanilla Ice story was too much for me to resist. No matter what, she was always a star.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Pretty sure he wasn't comparing acting resumes.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Raquel Welch dominated the Spank-ademy Awards over Liz in the generation prior to mine.

Liz was cute and all, but I'm sure seeing her on a horse at the age of 12 caused a bit of tube droop among the Pops crowd.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Fake Robert Evans remembers Liz...

http://deadspin.com/#!5785018/elizabeth-taylor-as-remembered-by-fake-robert-evans

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

For those who know more than me: Does anyone know why a two-time Academy Award-winning actress pretty much just stopped acting in middle age? I bet it's been decades since she was in a movie.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Why bother when you're already a legend, and wear more money in the form of jewelry each day than you could spend in 12 lifetimes? In truth, it seems once she got into AIDS activism, she really lost interest in acting.
    Above the fold page one obit in the dead tree Times this a.m. Our society doesn't have many honors larger than that.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's too bad she won't be reunited with Michael Jackson.

10. One reason - a big reason- was her health... She's had a ton of health problems and major surgeries.
    I think I read her last film was The Flintstones (ugh).
    She also did some voice over work and a TV stuff, I think as late as 1997.

She was an amazing actress and a stunning beauty. Unlike many stars, she really seemed comfortable in her own skin.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I seem to remember that they paid her some sick amount of money to do Flintstones. It might have been something like $10 mil for a very small part, almost like what they paid Brando for Superman. It might have been they paid her $5 mil and then donated $5 mil to her charity or something like that.

I remember reading an interview with Goodman where he said she made more money on the film than he did.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

She wasn't an actress, she was a movie star. Movie stars never have to work. They just have to be.

Draft saved Draft deleted