1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Little Richard

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, May 9, 2020.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

2. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

James Brown and Prince stole his act by dying first.

Webster likes this.
  3. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

What a legend.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

One of the greatest performers ever. RIP.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Low Cut Connie frontman wrote this about a year ago. He live-streams every Saturday at 6 pm EST. You can bet there will be plenty of Little Richard discussion tonight.

Pour on the Steam: Little Richard at Age 19

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Had no idea he was that old. True musical pioneer. RIP.

7. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

“So, let me see if I heard you right. You’d like us to glue his eyelids open for the visitation?”

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Good golly!

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

11. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I can’t imagine what it would have been like to see and hear Little Richard for the first time. By the time I heard him in the 1980s, he was more or a caricature of himself and I already knew of more “dangerous” acts such as Kiss and Ozzy. It was tough to fathom that he had ever been considered dangerous, but he was.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

So many of his songs were about sex, and he was an outrageously flamboyant black man. To Fifties America he was dangerous as hell, especially if little white girls liked his records. He was worse than Elvis, who covered his records. Good white families bought Pat Boone's versions to stay safe... and their kids bought Little Richard.

Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Buddy Holly, Elvis, and Jerry Lee Lewis were the pillars of rock n' roll. You can throw in some marginal players like Bill Haley, Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash, but those guys lit the fuse and were influential as hell in both the sound and the shows that came later.

I learned to love rock from the Beatles, and early on they gave me "Roll Over Beethoven" and "Long Tall Sally". I didn't know Chuck Berry and Little Richard then, but I found them soon enough.

Rest, Richard Penniman, sweet tortured soul. Helluva band in heaven.

Draft saved Draft deleted