1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Lima Time

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, May 23, 2010.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I loved Lima Time. You never knew what he was going to say next, besides his antics on the mound.
    IIRC, Lima have Jim Rome the gameball after winning his 21st.

Rome should give it to Lima's kid as a great gesture.

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

This is one of those deaths that just mystify me.

A presumably healthy 37-year-old former MLB pitchers dies of a heart attack?

What chance do I have?

It simply baffles me as to how and why some people die and others live on forever.

3. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Ben Shpigel posted this 2006 story on Lima on his Twitter and the NYT Bats blog. A really fun story about when Lima signed with the Mets that spring. Pedro's reaction is priceless.

The details here are fantastic and they serve as counterpoint to all the tedium on the baseball beat. You don't get this stuff in a lot of other sports, simply because of the access baseball allows.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/17/sports/baseball/17mets.html?_r=2

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Tomorrow is promised to no one.

A terrible story.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Good story, and this is the unintentional funny part:

"As much as the Mets figure to enjoy Lima's looseness and animated personality, they would prefer a return to his 2004 form, when he won 13 games for the Dodgers and helped to put them into the postseason. Officially, there is a competition for the fifth spot in the Mets' rotation, with Aaron Heilman, Brian Bannister, Yusaku Iriki, Alay Soler, John Maine and Lima all in contention.

But the Mets clearly envision Heilman, who had a standout 2005 season as a reliever, emerging from the pack."

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Dealt with him once and he was tremendous. I used to love listening to him on Rome's show, where he was usually at his best.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Richard Justice on Lima:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/baseball/7019057.html

8. Mizzougrad96

He had a drug history didn't he?

9. Herbert Anchovy

It is sadder than sad when a guy who has spread nothing but joy and enthusiasm in the public view is gone in a wisp and many complete shitbags still walk the earth (and will for the next 37 years and beyond).

10. Mizzougrad96

I doubt people said the same thing when Daryl Kile was found in his hotel room.

11. Herbert Anchovy

What did Kile do to anybody? By many accounts a decent guy and good family man. If I remember right he had some pot in his system in the autopsy report, but big deal if so.

Four guys now dead from those late-'90s Astros teams -- Kile, Lima, Ken Caminiti and coach Vern Ruhle.

12. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

That's not what Mizzou said. There was no implying that Kile did anything wrong to anybody. It was the fact that he had some pot in his system, when the impression many had was that he didn't mess with that stuff. He died of a heart attack, IIRC, and that was the clear cut COD.

Draft saved Draft deleted