1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Lima Time

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, May 23, 2010.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Heart attack:

http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news/story?id=1026715&s=bei&type=story

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Massive heart attack at 37. Jesus, that's awful.

My thoughts go to his family.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Que lastima.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/37302314/ns/sports-player_news/

RIP, Lima Time. You were one of a kind.

4. baseball125

baseball125 New Member

5. dieditor

dieditor Member

Unbelievable.

I was at Dodger Stadium Friday night and they showed a little highlight reel of Lima Time between innings on the Jumbotron, then cut to a shot of him sitting in the stands with his family. He jumped up and started waving at the crowd – he looked healthy and as energetic as he did when he pitched.

It's hard to think about the fact that a 60-second appearance was probably the last time he was at a baseball game and heard the crowd cheer him.

RIP, Lima Time.

6. The No. 7

The No. 7 Member

I was at the Dodgers game May 1, and he was there. Same highlight reel, probably, and he waved to the crowd. Sad.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I think he pitched in the independent Golden League -- Calgary??? -- last year and I thought he was going back there this year.

8. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

"Suck my balls"

That's the one phrase that reminds me of Jose Lima. I remember being in the Dodgers clubhouse a few years back and he got into an argument with one of his teammates. It wasn't a heated argument by any means but Jose had a way of winning these verbal jousts by being louder than his opponent. He kept yelling those words from across the clubhouse until just about everyone in the place was laughing...including himself.
    He was certainly a character.....

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Wow, what an unexpected story.
    This guy dominated for an extended bit in the bigs.
    I remember him well.
    Why did her go back and forth from KC to Dodgers when he had such a productive 2004?
    RIP, Jose

10. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

One of the most beloved Astros of all time. The guy will certainly be missed. Brought so much fun and spirit to the game.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

As a frequent visitor to Houston (my dad lives there), I remember those terrible commercials Lima did for Casa Ole', a local Mexican restaurant, back around 2000 or so. In the ad, Lima led a conga line through the restaurant, all the while singing "Casa Ole'!/fresh to-day! Every day!/Case Ole'!"

Had the Astros never moved from the Astrodome to Enron Field/Minute Maid Park, he'd have stayed there forever and would probably still be pitching. But he was an extreme fly ball pitcher, and the move killed his career. He went from 21-10, 3.58 in 1999 (the last year of the Dome) to 7-16, 6.65 --- with an astounding 48 homers allowed in 196.1 innings --- in 2000 (the first year of Enron).

RIP, Amigo. You were one of a kind.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I remember those commercials too. Holy shit were they awful. But he sure looked like he was having fun.

Draft saved Draft deleted