1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Lew Burdette

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gutter, Feb 6, 2007.

1. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

Oh man, that hurts.

Turn out the lights …

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

And somewhere, George Frazier once again shudders in anticipation of the first line of his obituary.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

One of only two pitchers to lose 3 games in a World SDeries...the only one to do it when he was trying to win.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

He was the winning pitcher in Harvey Haddix's 12 perfect innings game. He once said the Braves were making outs so fast he didn't have a chance to smoke a cigarette in the dugout between innings.

5. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

The pride of Nitro, W.Va.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Wow...Frankie Laine and now Lew Burdette....

Who's got next?

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

J.R. House would disagree.

Then Lew Burdette would knock him on his ass. :D

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

What's more remarkable -- that Haddix was perfect for 12 innings, or that both he and Burdette pitched complete games that night?

You're right, but apparently he may not have even been the second-toughest pitcher on the Braves staff.

Bob Buhl would have been the toughest, hands down, and Gene Conley would have had a valid claim for the No. 2 spot. According to Hank Aaron's book, some of the Braves were at a party that got out of hand and the owner of the house sicced his Doberman on the players. When it jumped up at Conley, who was 6-8 and also won three NBA titles with the Boston Celtics, he KO'd it with one punch. Mongo had nothing on Conley.

Between Buhl, Conley, Burdette, Aaron (who once went after teammate Rico Carty on a flight) and Eddie Matthews (who beat the shit out of Frank Robinson on the field one day), I don't think I'd have wanted to mess with the Braves.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

If I could be at one game in history, it might be that one.

That one's even more amazing than the night that Luis Tiant went 14.1 innings and Nolan Ryan went 13 in 1974. Ryan threw exactly 235 pitches -- not approximately, exactly -- and struck out 19 batters.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Marichal and Spahn had a legendary one as well, I believe, somethin glike 15 innings and it ended 1-0 on a homer by Mays, I think. Too lazy and too late to google.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Check Marichal's game logs on Retrosheet for 1958-62. Can't imagine he had too many 1-0 games against the Braves where he went 15. Shouldn't be hard to find.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

One of the great modern spitball artists.

RIP

Draft saved Draft deleted