1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Lew Burdette

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gutter, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=1&date=2/6/2007&id=18615

2. A beloved figure among Milwaukee's baseball fans. RIP.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Damn. Lot of old baseballers signing with the Cosmic All-Stars lately.

RIP to the 1957 World Series MVP, and one of the few pitchers to ever win 3 games in a single Series.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

A real big-game pitcher, winning Game 7 against the Yankees in '57 on, IIRC, two days rest. It was his third start and third win of the series, making him a truly deserving MVP.

Also, according to Hank Aaron, someone who grew a great deal as a person over the years in terms of overcoming his prejudices.

RIP, Lew.

5. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I spent a good deal of time with Lew and Warren Spahn about 10 years ago outside the sports journalism business and found them to be some of the most friendly and insightful people I've ever come into contact with.

They're definitely missed. RIP.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Umm ... there haven't been any relievers to win 3 in a single Series. No need for the clarification, FYI.

Babe Adams 3 1909 WS
    Harry Brecheen 3 1946 WS
    Lew Burdette 3 1957 WS
    Jack Coombs 3 1910 WS
    Stan Coveleski 3 1920 WS
    Bill Dinneen 3 1903 WS
    Red Faber 3 1917 WS
    Bob Gibson 3 1967 WS
    Randy Johnson 3 2001 WS
    Mickey Lolich 3 1968 WS
    Christy Mathewson 3 1905 WS
    Deacon Phillippe 3 1903 WS
    Joe Wood 3 1912 WS

That's the entire list.

EDIT: Unless the clarification was: one of the few to win three starts in a Series, then yes. That would eliminate Johnson, Brecheen and Wood.

8. So it doesn't differentiate between starters, relievers and starters who won games in relief appearances? I know Randy Johnson won Game 7 in 2001 in relief of Schilling. Does that still count?

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Check my edit.

But yes, it counts. Johnson won three games in the '01 WS -- only 13 guys have ever done that. It absolutely counts.

10. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

As a Wisconsinite.... :'(

RIP Lew.

11. Fair enough. I was just seeking clarification.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Technically, mine was accurate, albeit vague. I said "one of the few pitchers to win 3 games."

No true relievers have ever won three in a Series. However, three of the 13 were starters who came in, in relief, to win one of their games.

Draft saved Draft deleted