1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Levon Helm

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Damn, damn, damn. He had a major role in the creation of so much great music.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/levon-helm-drummer-and-singer-of-the-band-dies-at-71-20120419

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Pierce:

www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/levon-helm-america-8173059?click=news

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Someone in heaven needed a stick of Beemans.
    RIP

4. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Was a wonderful tribute.

May the road rise up to meet you, Levon.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Maybe Earl Camembert can finally catch up with him:

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Loan me one will you? I'll pay you back later.
    Also tanned Sissy Spacek's hide in Coal Miner's Daughter. Interesting how some of these rockers (Steven Van Zandt's another one) who turn out to be really good character actors.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

RIP to a man who made so much great music.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The quality of these two clips is bad, but you can make out two legends playing together:

9. I may play The Weight on loop for the rest of the day.

10. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

One of my favorite shows on Wolfgang's Vault is one that Levon did with his group called the RCO All-Stars. It included Dr. John, the backup musicians from the Blues Brothers (Donald Dunn, Tom Malone, Alan Rubin, Lou Marini, et. al) and others in this star-studded lineup. Give it a listen. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. You may have to sign up, but it's free.

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/levon-helm-and-the-rco-all-stars/concerts/cheshire-county-fairgrounds-july-02-1977.html

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Ah crap. Knew it was coming, but still ...

So much great music by this guy, but "Don't Do It," is probably my favorite. The ultimate recidivist romantic song. Let's just say I can relate.

(Yeah, I know it's a Marvin Gaye song originally. But the Helm/Band version is superior).

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Imus has been playing Levon all morning. He seems generally shook up by this.

Draft saved Draft deleted