1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Levi Stubbs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It was my great honor to meet Levi Stubbs in 1967 when the Tops played a debutante party to which I was invited for some reason. He was nice to an awestruck white teenage kid at a time when he was one of the biggest stars in music.
    RIP.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

"Reach Out And I'll Be There"....

Black Dylan sez Phil Spector.....

RIP to one of the great R&B voices ever.

3. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

The world is a tad less beautiful and wondrous.

4. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

same here, cosmo.
    i have a copy of a billy bragg show from the birchmere with levi stubbs' tears on it. first person to PM me, gets it on CD -- if they don't mind giving me an address.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And my co-workers were lost until they realized he was the plant in "Little Shop of Horrors."

*sigh*

"Bernadette" is my favorite Four Tops song; Billy Bragg's "Live Stubbs' Tears" is one of my favorite songs, period.

When the world falls apart, some things stay in place
    Levi Stubbs' tears run down his face

RIP.

(BTW... anyone remember when he was missing for several days a few years ago? It turned out he had horrible sleep apnea and he had checked into a hotel and then slept for six days. Odd.)

6. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

RIP. God love Motown. That vid you linked Starman was amazing. All those great old pics of Detroit. And Hitsville! I went to the museum shortly after moving here. It was amazing just seeing that studio and the stuff that came out of there. But here's my favorite of theirs

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Saw a couple of the TNT shows where the Temptations and Four Tops appeared on the same bill and even joined each other on stage for a couple songs. Good stuff indeed. Believe it or not, one was in Vegas when the Temptations were looking to bring a male and female on stage to sing My Girl/My Guy. Believe it or not, they asked me and I declined! So they brought up one of the Platters who was in the crowd and some cute girl from the audience. Didn't have nearly enough alcohol in me and wasn't as outgoing as I am today. I'm an idiot.

8. Editude

Editude Active Member

The music was formulaic, but Stubbs' voice transcended the template. He'll be missed.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No kidding, Fenian. That will be playing in my head for a while now. RIP, Levi.

My mother was a big Motown sort ... passed it on to me. Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder are among my favorites, too.

10. RossLT

RossLT Guest

For what it's worth, I am 29 and I love to listen to all the old Motown stuff.

11. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

When the world falls apart, some things stay in place.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

RIP to the one of the great voices in soul.

They had better songs (including the aforementioned Bernadette), but for some reason, Are You Man Enough? -- the theme to Shaft In Africa -- is the Four Tops song that's popped into my head. Along with Ain't No Woman Like The One I Got.

Draft saved Draft deleted