1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, lethal injections

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I like it.

2. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I'm not going to state my stance on these issues, but I think both executions and abortions fall under the category of things that happen that almost everyone wishes did not have to happen, whether they are "justified" or not. In a perfect world, neither would ever occur, and it would be irrelevant what political views we all had about them. Of course, our world was from the beginning imperfect.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Right. And pro-choice supporters do not think that an unborn fetus is a "life." That may be a position that you find unpalatable, but that is their position, and it is philosophically and medically defensible. As is yours. You should accept their motivation - that they truly believe what they say they believe - at face value, then attack it on its merits. Instead, and you've done this on these threads a lot, you make the leap that they must know better, then argue your point from there. On your grounds. And at that point, you are just arguing past them.

You ask why liberals are against the death penalty but for abortion choice. I told you the answer. It is the correct answer. You just don't like the answer because it takes away your easiest weapon - demonizing the other side - and forces you to use reason instead of rhetoric. And that's a lot harder.

4. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I would think the chemical would need FDA approval to ward off a situation where it didn't work completely because of lax standards. Then you get into cruel and unusual punishment, wouldn't you? That's my crackpot theory anyways.

And in 99 percent of cases I'm against the death penalty, but if we are going to do it I'm all in favor of going back to firing squads. The costs related to lethal injection are way too high for a method not much more humane.

5. When I was a 17-20 or so, I worked for a veterinarian for a couple years as a vet tech.

We used a bright pink brand of stuff called Euthasol to put animals to sleep. It was a combo of pentobarbital sodium and phenytoin sodium, IIRC. It would kill even a big dog within all of five seconds after going into its veins, never caused any visible discomfort or pain whatsoever and always worked. The vet would always say he could never understand why they didn't use that exact stuff in humans for lethal injection but instead had some complicated cocktail that shut down different things in the body independently and allegedly could have left someone mentally aware of what's going on if not used in the perfect doses at the exact right times.

Say what you will about the death penalty, but I have to agree the stuff we use on animals is more humane.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

There are always firing squads

7. The premise of comparing pro-life to pro-death penalty is ridiculous. It's not even in the same realm. To say otherwise is extremely shortsighted.

Abortion - specifically the concept of life and when it begins and woman's right to choose - can not in any way, shape or form be compared to the death penalty.

Folks eligible for the death penalty are eligible for one primary reason - the prolly fucking deserve it, cause they did some really heinous shit.

You can argue for or against state-sanctioned executions all day, but lumping abortion and death penalty beliefs into one category is asinine.

To touch on Monster Lobster - I believe a vet drug for animal euthanasia was what Oklahoma used to put down it's last excecution. It was one drug, not the combo pack.

As for FDA approval ...
    http://health.yahoo.net/news/s/ap/us_execution_drug_shortage

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm liberal. I'm pro-choice. I'm also pro-death penalty.

I wish the world was perfect, where everyone got along, the air and water are pristeen, everyone earned the wages they absolutely deserved for the work they did instead of screwing other people and even the Cubs winning a World Series at least once in a century. But I know the world ain't perfect.

I'm not a woman, so I can't put myself in their figurative shoes. I do know that there are women out there desperate enough to have an abortion. I don't like it, but I have a feeling that if it were banned, we'd be hearing plenty of more stories like that Philly 'doc' on the other thread.

And I wish there wasn't a death penalty. But at the same time, there are people out there who commit such horrible crimes that they deserve it.

So until the world's perfect, I say, keep the death penalty and fry the bastards.

9. Dick Whitman

Yeah, exactly. It's a false dichotomy. No hypocrisy by either side whatsoever. Truly.

10. Dick Whitman

Yeah, but a lot of people are desperate for heroin, too. But unless you write for Rolling Stone magazine, that's not considered a serious argument for its legalization.

And I honestly have always maintained that women don't get a special vote in this matter. It's about when life does or does not begin. If it begins at conception, then abortion is wrong. If it begins at birth, then abortion is ... less wrong. You don't need to be a woman to have an opinion on that. "A women's right to choose" is a red herring. The gender of the opiner is 100 percent irrelevant.

11. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Use of the electric chair, with about 250,000 more volts than previously used, would be fine with me. Fry their asses if they're deserving of a death sentence.

A firing squad is just a waste of bullets and time. Public hangings would be fine, too.

12. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Going to go out on a limb and say bullets are cheaper than thousands of volts of electricity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.