1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Les Paul

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gutter, Aug 13, 2009.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

My brother-in-law named their dog Gibson.

RIP to an influence on so many lives.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

RIP.

Seems like an appropriate day to quote Mellencamp:

Forget all about that macho shit and learn how to play guitar.

3. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

the original "Guitar Hero" ... no one like him ... (although I am listening to me some Dick Dale right now)

4. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I heard the NPR program on him yesterday. I didn't realize his influence was so far reaching. Amazing life.

I fool around with a guitar, but I never really thought about playing a Les Paul. I picked one up in a guitar store once and thought I was going to fall over. Them things are heavy as hell. I don't know how you play for hours with that thing around your neck.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Multi-track recording/overbudding changed all music. I'm 39 years old, and I have hard time even thinking about what music would be like if multi-tracking recording had not been invented.
    His influence was much bigger than his work with solid-body electric guitars.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Here's a perfect example of all of his talents combined into one short (2:41) clip - adding one more dazzling guitar track and one more vocal track to the 24 recorded tracks of "How High the Moon."

The great thing about him is that his legend would have been secured strictly as a player, even if someone else had invented the electric guitar and multi-track recording. I mean, Leo Fender designed and built some great guitars, but you don't think of him as any kind of virtuoso. Matter of fact, I once read that Fender didn't even know how to play a guitar.

Bottom line - before anybody else did anything, Les Paul did everything.

Draft saved Draft deleted