1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Les Paul

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gutter, Aug 13, 2009.

1. lono

lono Active Member

I bet the jam session is already going. RIP, Lester.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Great pic of Bloomfield, one of my all-time faves. Duane Allman is the best slide player I've ever heard.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Damn. I agree WFW with spnited and Z-Man. Anyone who appreciates modern music owes many, many, many enjoyable hours to LP. Tonight's playlist is gonna be heavy with guitar Gods.

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Nothing more to add, other than that the world lost a trailblazer today.

RIP.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

I never realized he was Steve Miller's godfather and first guitar teacher. Wow.

RIP, Mr. Paul. :'(

6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

One little thing I'll always remember when I hear his name is that beer commercial he did a few years ago.

Some young dude is noodling around on his guitar in a mostly-empty bar when Paul comes up and asks the guy if he can give it a try. The guy looks at him with a surprised look on his face and asks "You play?" and Paul replies "I've been known to."

After Paul works some of his magic, the young guy, obviously impressed, says "That's cool. What's your name?" And Paul tells him "Look at your guitar."

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

When you have a musical instrument named for you (yeah, I know he designed it), you probably were a pretty good musician.
    Of course, Paul was a genius of American music. RIP. Who'll get the most solos tonight, him or Hendrix?

8. TeamBud

TeamBud Member

Gotta love youtube and the folks that put up anything and everything.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It's a long list.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Went to one of his Monday night gigs a couple of years ago (five or six, maybe). Even at that age he was doing two shows a night, once a week.

It was a great set if understandably a little short.

always meant to go back for his annual birthday show in which legendary guitarists would invariably show up and sit in.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Satriani

Les and Chet Atkins

12. tea and ease

tea and ease Well-Known Member

Went to an auction in June to bid on an original 1956 "gold top" Les Paul guitar autographed and played by the man himself. We were willing to go to $7000.00, figuring if we won the bid, we could resell it in a larger market for $12,000. We bid to our limit, and the thing finally hammered at $14,000 with an additional buyers premium of 10%. The winning bidder looked about 23 years old.

Draft saved Draft deleted