1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP LeRoy Neiman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

Have a print of this photo on my wall.

Had parts in Rocky II, III, IV, V and Rocky Balboa. He and Stallone were close.

Met him in Chicago covering a Cavaliers-Bulls playoff series and was polite and gracious.

RIP

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. maberger

maberger Member

His studio in the Des Artistes building must have had double or triple ceiling height. I interviewed him once for something about what makes a person attractive to him as a subject and we did it at his studio, and i was amazed by the 25-foot tall shelves crammed with paint colors -- like a real-life Pantone deck. He was very gracious, and not at all precious.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

I remember his being at ringside that night wearing a beige-colored crumpled suit.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My parents got this artist proof from Neiman many years ago, I spent my entire childhood looking at it in the living room. Always loved his work. RIP to a true original.

[​IMG]

5. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

For me, too, Leroy Neiman's work was something I saw lots of and enjoyed through the years.
    He had a great talent for capturing the spirit and creating an accurate visual image of whatever it was he was painting.
    RIP to a great sports artist.

6. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Why would you wear a crumpled suit when seeing him?

Anyhoo, RIP to a vibrant artist.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Own a single signed print (depicting a couple of my friends, among a host of others) which he executed in his mid-'70s. Don't love all of his stuff, but he made a niche for himself, and there's nothing else like it. RIP.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

How about correctly spelling his name in the topic line.

10. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I'm not a huge fan, but I have a vague memory of him on Wide World of Sports or something like that. doing a painting "live" as the event took place, probably a boxing match.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I seem to recall that as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted