1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Leonard Nimoy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SpockPuppet, Feb 27, 2015.

1. SpockPuppet

SpockPuppet New Member

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

And the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few -- or the one.

Live long and prosper for eternity, Mr. Spock.

[​IMG]

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Perhaps Orson Welles' ghost can give him a new body to wreak havoc on another generation of geekdom.
    RIP to, if not the patron saint of nerds, then at least someone who was in the pantheon.

4. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

He did live long and prosper.

Farewell and climb the mountain.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Wasn't he also the narrator for stuff like "In Search Of..." and some of those aliens-landed-on-earth-centuries-ago shows?

6. Hell yes he was!
    That's what I think of first instead of Star Trek. LOVED that show as a kid!

7. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Let me be the first to say ... "Dammit Jim, he's dead."

RIP.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

When someone who is such a huge part of the pantheon of a culture, it's tempting to think he or she will somehow evade the ravages of old age or the grim arrival of the Reaper.

Sadly, Nimoy's late in life frailties served as a reminder that our heroes will eventually leave us. They don't make his final departure any easier to deal with.

As someone who cried legit tears when his character Captain Spock died in The Wrath of Khan, I feel the grief of losing him to the Reaper once and for all.

RIP, Mr. Nimoy.

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

He lived long and prospered and was beamed up one last time. RIP, Spock

[​IMG]

12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Read his book I Am Spock just a month ago. That was a second autobiography he wrote after penning one in the mid-1970s (IIRC) entitled I Am Not Spock in which he tried to distance himself from the Star Trek character. Haven't read the first one but I Am Spock is really good. Neat stories such as working with Ingrid Bergman on a film about Golda Meir, then jetting to Beijing to do a project in which he was the only American involved. Recently saw him in the remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers and it reminded me of a story in the book in which he described being stalked and the woman having stolen personal items from his hotel room.

As an actor, he had tremendous range and seemed like a very intelligent man.

LLAP, Mr. Nimoy.

Draft saved Draft deleted