1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Leah Siegel

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by gingerbread, Jul 19, 2010.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Re: Leah Siegel

I don't know Leah personally but I'd heard of her and her story a couple of years ago.

She should be a true inspiration to us, and, most importantly, someday, her kids.

2. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Another terribly sad day.

From her husband:
    Leah's body has stopped. Her legacy will continue. She passed away at 4:30 this morning under great care from Baylor. Please see the Caringbridge site for info on services. One will probably be this Friday, and one will probably be September 11 or 12. Both are open to you all. http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/leahsiegeldallas/journal

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Death is always even more tragic when a parent and their children don't have the chance to spend a life together.

RIP.

4. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

RIP Leah. You sounded like an incredible woman.

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Here's a link to the SportsCenter mention of her death:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5410895

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

RIP. So tragic.

7. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

Hasn't been mentioned but should be... Leah would want it said, I think....her father was Mo Siegel, the long-time Washington Star columnist and inimitable raconteur....they were proud of each other, never failing, in my presence at least, to bring up the other in conversation....her mother was Myra MacPherson, a fabulous writer of long-form profiles for the Washington Post who turned to books, and in a 1999 book about a woman dying of breast cancer acknowledged Leah's help as an editor...

8. VJ

VJ Member

ugh, definitely the wrong kind of irony. RIP to a fellow Terp. Heard fabulous stories about her father while at the Washington Times.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Nice touch on PTI today. Wilbon and Kornheiser said they had known her since high school, and Wilbon said he helped pick out a stereo system for her high school graduation gift.

10. Dr. Howard

Dr. Howard Member

Knew Leah and her dad. Mo Siegel was a Washington institution as a newspaperman. Leah leaves a legacy as a human being larger than almost any I can think of right now. Pick any superlative you like for her -- smart, talented, courageous. Just a wonderful person. I extend my sympathies to her family and legion of friends. What grace she exhibited in sharing the details of her life and her battle with cancer. She will be sorely missed by all of those who ever knew her.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Fairly powerful stuff. I couldn't get all the way through it. http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/080110dnentleah.2c4fc4b.html

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Took me a long while to get through that. An incredible story.

Draft saved Draft deleted