1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Leah Siegel

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by gingerbread, Jul 19, 2010.

1. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

I'm told by some of her friends that Leah would appreciate this, so here goes:

Leah, an ESPN producer/reporter for some 20 years, posted yesterday on her Facebook page that her time on this earth was winding down -- "Elvis might be leaving the building," she wrote, and noted she was probably down to just days or weeks.

If you don't know Leah -- and you probably crossed her path if you covered any possible sport or league over the last two decades -- she was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer soon after giving birth to her third child a little less than two years ago.
    Through Facebook, she allowed us to witness her treatment and valiant fight and funny moments with the kids and read about her fears and marvel at her extreme grace, so posting her imminent death and last goodbye on Facebook made sense. As her husband said, it's kind of like breaking up with someone via text. They've maintained their humor throughout it all.

This is Leah's CaringBridge page -- http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/leahsiegeldallas page -- if you'd like to leave her messages. She's still attempting to read them, or her husband reads them for her.
    Someday her kids (ages 5, 3 and nearly 2) will be able to read about how their mother was a fire-cracker when it came to getting stories (just try to say no to her, Jerry Jones), and had far more dignity and smarts than most of the athletes she covered. She rarely complained if she was treated badly -- all she wanted was to get and perfect the story.
    She's barely 43. My throat is in my mouth as I type.

2. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

Re: Leah Siegel

What a beautiful woman.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My favorite aunt died of breast cancer last year and every time I read about this awful disease taking someone else away too soon, I just get a lump in my throat.

4. Dr. Howard

Dr. Howard Member

Used to catch up with Leah when she was the producer for Ed Werder at NFL games. Always enjoyed her company. Fun, lively, energetic. This has been tragic from the start. I admire Leah's grace, charm and strength in the face of this terrible disease. I wish her and her family peace.

5. COPrimeaux

COPrimeaux New Member

Wow. This is a very inspiring story and tough woman.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Keep Pounding, Leah.

And thanks for sharing this, gingerbread.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I can't imagine being the spouse that has to type, 'the end is near.'

I can't imagine being the mother leaving her children.

Thanks, gb, for posting this. So very sad.

8. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I have nothing useful to add. My God.
    May her husband and kids find peace.

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Heartbreaking.

10. bhubbuch

bhubbuch New Member

This almost brings me to tears.

I got to know Leah (little known fact: she's the daughter of legendary Washington D.C. sports columnist Mo Siegel) in Dallas in the late 1990s when I was covering the Cowboys for the Morning News, and she is indeed as spunky and tenacious and funny as described.

A truly wonderful person, and my heart goes out to her and her family.

Bart Hubbuch
    New York Post

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

heartbreaking, whether or not you know leah. the tears are flowing here.

that's all i've got, other thanks for the head's up, ginger.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I had read a story about her in the Dallas Morning News probably about two years ago.

Three young kids. It's just devastating to even think about.

Draft saved Draft deleted