1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Law & Order

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, May 13, 2010.

1. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

If you consider excommunication enforcement, then the answer would be a resounding yes. For 100 years they've kicked out polygamists.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yes, it is enforced. And illegal, aside from what the LDS church has said about the practice for the last century.

But that non sequitor "joke" you introduced out of the blue was pretty funny.

What other funny jokes can we come up with?

How about, "Now that Sam Waterston doesn't have the series, he is going to convert to Judaism, take his legal practice private, chase ambulances, cheat his clients and make a point of not tipping the waitress every episode. Shit, the guy already has a huge nose, so the conversion can't be too difficult."

Funny stuff, eh?

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Lighten up Ragu. It's only a message board. Besides, Jews are funny.

The Harvard School of Medicine did a study of why Jewish women like Chinese food so much. The study revealed that it is due to the fact that Won Ton spelled backwards is Not Now.

There's big controversy on the Jewish view of when life begins. In Jewish tradition, the fetus is not considered viable until after it graduates from medical school.

Why don't Jewish mothers drink? Alcohol interferes with their suffering.

Have you seen the newest Jewish-American Princess horror movie? It's called, "Debbie Does Dishes."

What's a Jewish American Princess' favorite position? Facing Tiffany's.

When the doctor called Mrs. Liebenbaum to tell her that her check came back, she replied, "So did my arthritis."

A Jewish boy come home from school and tells his mother he's been given a part in the school play. "Wonderful? What part is it?" The boy says, "I play the part of the Jewish husband." The mother scowls and says, "You go back and tell the teacher you want a speaking part."

Where does the Jewish husband hide his money from his wife? Under the vacuum cleaner.

What's the difference between a Rottweiler and a Jewish Mother? Eventually, the Rottweiler lets go."

A Jewish telegram: "Start worrying. Details to follow."

I once wanted to become an atheist but I gave up . . . they have no holidays.
    - Henny Youngman

Most Texans think Hanukkah is some sort of duck call.
    -Richard Lewis

My father never lived to see his dream come true of an all-Yiddish-speaking Canada.
    - David Steinberg

Look at Jewish history. Unrelieved lamenting would be intolerable. So, for every ten Jews beating their breasts, God designated one to be crazy and amuse the breast beaters. By the time I was five I knew I was that one.
    - Mel Brooks

The time is at hand when the wearing of a prayer shawl and skullcap will not bar a man from the White House, unless, of course, the man is Jewish.
    - Jules Farber

Even if you are Catholic, if you live in New York you're Jewish. If you live in Butte, Montana, you are going to be goyish even if you are Jewish.
    - Lenny Bruce

God, I know we are your chosen people, but couldn't you choose somebody else for a change?
    - Shalom Aleichem

The remarkable thing about my mother is that for 30 years she served us nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been found.
    - Calvin Trillin

Let me tell you the one thing I have against Moses. He took us 40 years into the desert in order to bring us to the one place in the Middle East that has no oil!
    - Golda Meir

Even a secret agent can't lie to a Jewish mother.
    - Peter Malkin

Humility is no substitute for a good personality.
    - Fran Lebowitz

My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me.
    - Benjamin Disraeali

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it.
    - Sam Levinson

Don't be humble; you are not that great.
    - Golda Meir

God will pardon me. It's His business.
    - Heinrich Heine

I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in 14 days I had lost exactly two weeks.
    - Joe E. Lewis

Bankruptcy is a legal proceeding in which you put your money in your pants pocket and give your coat to your creditors.
    - Sam Goldwyn

A spoken contract isn't worth the paper it's written on.
    - Sam Goldwyn

Everybody likes a kidder but nobody loans him money
    - Arthur Miller

I have enough money to last me the rest of my life unless I buy something.
    - Jackie Mason

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve immortality through not dying.
    - Woody Allen

Marriage is a wonderful institution. But who wants to live in an institution?
    - Groucho Marx

Whoever called it necking was a poor judge of anatomy.
    - Groucho Marx

A politician is a man who will double cross that bridge when he comes to it.
    - Oscar Levant

Too bad that all the people who know how to run this country are busy driving taxis and cutting hair.
    - George Burns

A committee is a group that keeps minutes and loses hours.
    - Milton Berle

I don't want any yes-men around me I want everybody to tell me the truth, even if it costs them their jobs.
    - Sam Goldwyn

Television is a medium because it is neither rare nor well done.
    - Ernie Kovacs

With the collapse of vaudeville, new talent has no place to stink.
    - George Burns

When I bore people at a party, they think it is their fault.
    - Henry Kissinger

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

NBC makes it official. L&O cancelled. L&OLA on the sked for next season.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/05/14/nbc-cancels-law-order/?hp

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

This is pretty weak sauce, even for NBC. I'm sure the final ep is in the can already and although the show is made to go ep to ep with limited continuing story arcs - the show deserves at least the same build up as the mediocrities that have existed since it premiered and had their hyped "final seasons."

As Adam Schiff would say - "Cut a deal!" Heck - the way Leno's ratings have slid since he came back - maybe put L&O on at 11:30.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The show at least ended if not on top, at least on a creative upswing. Anderson and Sisto were a good combo, and Waterston was starting to fit into the DA role. I think the Southerlyn is gay McGuffin was something the show never recovered from as far as being must-watch

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Thompson was far better in the DA role, if not a perfect fit, and my dislike of Wiest has nothing to do with her politics -- she just seemed very weak as DA, no matter how tough they tried to write her.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I can't wait for the episode where Jack Tripper sues Mr. Furley and Mr. Roper for 30 years of housing discrimination.
    The week after, we'll get the one where Laverne snaps and kills Shirley, Lenny and Squiggy.
    In episode three, Joey Tribbiani is arraigned on murder charges for killing the producers of his short-lived TV show. He beats the rap when his defense of justifiable homicide is upheld.
    Oh yeah. This will end well.

9. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Bummer. It's one of those shows you never thought would leave the air, even though all do (yeah, I know it will live on in reruns, but I've seen all those :)). Funny how NBC says all the stories have been told in NYC ... but not in LA! It all came down to Dick Wolf and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ - as usual.

10. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I fail to see how a final season of Mothership would fare any worse monetarily for NBC than L&OLA. Does it all come down to cheaper actors? Heck, the last season of ER managed to take that show out on both a (relative to its tepid latter seasons) creative and ratings high-note. I figure a lot of viewers who tapered off would've come back for the last gasp.

At some point, NBC will do something that leads me to belive it's no longer managed by monkeys armed with programming schedules. Not today, however.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Since that final episode is probably already taped, I wonder if they don't opt for a two-hour movie finale sometime next year as more of a proper sendoff.

Kind of like what Homicide did when it got canceled to tie up loose ends and such.

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Not Jewish, but sitting shiva. This sucks.

Draft saved Draft deleted