1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Larry Whiteside

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by KP, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Boy, what a backdoor way of getting a lede.
    (C'mon, you ALL werethinking it.)

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I wish Full of Shit -- who is anything but, BTW -- would post more often. He has so many great stories.

3. boots

boots New Member

Dude, I'm going to be nice. Mr. Larry Whiteside was a gentleman and friend. I don't take kindly to your stupid remark on a post that was meant to honor him.
    Sometimes, you go over the line. This is one of of those times.

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Relax boots. It's a joke. Don't let it get in the way of a celebration for someone who deserves it.

5. Lighten up.boots.
    Trust me. 'Sides would have laughed.

6. boots

boots New Member

Perhaps. I took it to mean something else. If an apology is due, than I am making it.

7. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

will mcdonough. ron indrisano. jack tweedy.
    walter haynes once boxed an exhibition with muhammad ali at the old garden. haynes, sides, and steve marantz wrote a series on 'blacks in boston' that won an apse first place. sides wrote the sox, haynes the patriots, and marantz the celtics.

8. Full of Shit

Full of Shit Member

Wow, I can't believe I missed McDonough. See, this is what happens when you don't have a good editor to save your ass. Thanks, henry.

I didn't know Jack Tweedy had died, but given his age back then, I can't say I'm surprised. Like Sides, Jack was a wonderful human being. But please tell me you're mistaken about Ron Indrisano. I know he took a buyout and retired, but I hadn't heard anything about him dying (and can't find anything on the Internet).

And Frank, thanks for the kind words. In your honor, I'll give you a quick Indrisano story. He was the Globe's night duty officer in Sports when I worked on the desk there in the '80s. He'd "break the book" -- roughing out the section on the page dummies (pre-pagination, of course. Heck, at that time, we were even pasting up some hard copy) for the layout person.

Anyway, Ronnie had a particularly blacksmith-like touch with his pencil, especially considering that the layout/makeup guy, which was me a couple of nights a week, was supposed to use those same dummies to do the real layout later. Ronnie, would sketch a page, then change his mind and erase everything and start over. Only his drawing was so dark, the original lines were still there. But now they were covered with eraser shavings, which he never bothered to brush off. He'd just draw the new layout right over them.

When I got home after handling those dummies, I felt like I'd been working in a freakin' coal mine.

FOS

9. rat fink

rat fink New Member

There was a brief mention on a thread earlier but this fine gentleman will be enshrined in Cooperstown this summer. A fine tribute to a great guy and a hearty thanks to those who helped make it happen.

10. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Another clue I'm out of touch---when did Joe Concannon leave us? I ran into him a few times at golf tournaments and some running events and found him a classy, humble guy with a nice knack for reporting and writing. He embodied all that is good about Baaa-stun.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

I think he's been gone several years--maybe even 10--but I could be wrong.

As a dumbass teenage stringer, I somehow ended up covering the same event as him once. He was wonderful.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Concannon died in 2000 at 60, so says a Google search. Lots of guys on that staff (Jim Greenidge) have died relatively young.

Draft saved Draft deleted