1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Larry Smith

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by rascalface, Jan 28, 2008.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

From the L.A. Times obit:

Smith, seemingly repudiating the Trojans' storied football heritage, further inflamed longtime USC followers when he said, "Names and logos don't mean anything. You don't beat someone just because of your name and logo."

Within days of the Fresno State loss, Smith was fired with three years left on his contract.

And in a 2006 interview, he didn't back down from the comment.

"Our guys didn't give a damn about being there," he said of the game.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Good coach. Wore his heart right out there. Had a little Jim Mora in him. The Rodney Peete squads never quite fulfilled their potential, but they were fun to watch.

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Smith was a pretty nice guy, but what he said after the Freedom Bowl was exactly the wrong thing for USC fans to hear.
    And the then-SID at UofA said that he never told his players he was leaving for USC. They had to find out from the media. He left on somewhat bad terms.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Sadly, Google Images failed to come through on the old "Our maids went to Fresno State" T-shirts.

5. rascalface

rascalface Member

Which is hard to imagine, when you consider Stull had two future NFL head coaches (Andy Reid and Marty Mornhinweg) and a future Pac-10 head coach (Dirk Koetter) on his staff during those years. Makes you appreciate even more what Larry Smith was able to do in Columbia.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

god, talk about hell. from a couple pac-10 schools to missouri. ick.

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I went into my closet and pulled a tape of said Freedom Bowl. I was happy as hell to watch USC get punked when it happened, but felt sorry for Smith, because he looked like a guy who had no control over what was taking place on the field. It wasn't even a game. Fresno kicked their asses up and down the field.

MileHigh, I love the quote Smith said about SC. Just because you wearing a big-name school on your jersey, doesn't mean shit if you don't play like one.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The fifth-down game basically killed what was a decent building job Stull was doing. Took the steam right out of the program. And Smith basically lucked out in having the gutsiest quarterback I have ever seen in Corby Jones. Gave Mizzou several wins they had no business getting. He disguised the fact that Mizzou still wasn't getting good recruits, a situation that in the last couple of years Pinkel has finally reversed.

9. rascalface

rascalface Member

Lucked into Corby? Stull put Corby's dad on the payroll. That's not luck. That's purchasing power.

Also didn't help Smith any that the two QBs who were supposed to follow Corby (Kirk Farmer and Kurt Propst) went down with severe injuries. Oh, and Jimmie Dougherty, who last I checked was coaching at USD and was there when they had that nice run under Harbaugh, or even Darius Outlaw.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I remember the tie with all-freshman SMU. Well, maybe I don't, but I was there. The nadir of all nadirs for Stull. Pathetic isn't the word.

A nonconductor of electricity if God ever made one.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Whatever. My point still stands. The presence of Corby Jones masked a lot of weakness in Larry Smith's overall program. And you just cited a whole lotta fail between Jones and Brad Smith. Don't forget Sonny Riccio or Brandon Corso, either.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Or Tony Sands.

Draft saved Draft deleted