1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Larry O'Rourke

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jr/shotglass, Jun 15, 2011.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Larry O'Rourke, who covered the Eagles among other sports for the Allentown Morning Call, died today. He had been battling ALS for several years.

I'm sure many of you have come across this thread about the benefit golf tournament he put together in the Allentown area last month.

Larry was one great guy. He interned for us at The Patriot-News in Harrisburg in the '80s, later worked in Trenton and finally in Allentown. I know it's easy to say someone is one of the nicest people you've ever met, but it went a little further with him. I can't remember ever hearing O'Rourke say a bad word about anyone.

This one hurts our business and hurts personally. He will be missed.

2. I played in the golf tournament this year with my dad and it was a great event and it was even greater because it was helping someone as wonderful as Larry. God rest him.

Draft saved Draft deleted