1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Larry Hagman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Nov 23, 2012.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Held his own quite well opposite Henry Fonda in 1964's "Fail-Safe," which also included a rare dramatic turn from ... Dom DeLuise.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Great in Mother, Jugs and Speed too. RIP

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Glad someone remembered that. He was tremendous and probably should have gotten a supporting actor nomination.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

RIP, Mr. Eyebrows.

5. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Major Healey always struck me as a sex fiend....sort of a quagmire of the 1960s.

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

But they milked Jock's death for years. First they dragged it out by trying to find him in the swamp in South America. Then, they had the fight for the company after Jock changed his will while in South America. And then Wes Parmalee showed up years later claiming to be Jock. Dallas was/is good TV! What I haven't seen is if they're starting filming next season's episodes. I've got to believe they have since the new season starts in January (I think). They're going to milk JR's passing.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I would guess anybody seeing him in that role would never have guessed he would become the mainstay of a hit comedy TV series within a couple of years.

[​IMG]

Same would go for Andy Griffith in "A Face In The Crowd."

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

RIP.

He had apparently filmed the first six episodes of next season, which starts Jan. 28.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Apparently Patrick Duffy and Linda Grey were there with his family when he died. That, to me, is extremely cool, or to use a less objective term, sweet.

10. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Good perspective here from the DMN:

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The thing that made JR such a great character was that Hagman didn't play him as just a one-note guy. When he was trying to be "nice" and "sweet" you felt it was genuine and not just some con he was playing - which made his trips to bastardville even more compelling. The character wanted things, he wanted to be loved, but he wasn't willing to sacrifice winning to get it.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Hugh Atcheson died?

Draft saved Draft deleted