1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Larry Felser

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by pseudo, Apr 24, 2013.

1. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130424/SPORTS/130429553/1109

Buffalo lost a legend today with the passing of Felser, the 1984 McCann Award winner who covered the Bills for every season of their existence until retiring as the Buffalo News sports editor in 2001. His successor as TBN's senior columnist, Jerry Sullivan, on that occasion: The Buffalo Guy

Sully today: Larry Felser, a gentleman

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Larry was a wonderful person to know. This is very sad news.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

RIP to a Buffalo legend.

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I remember when I fell in love with pro football in the late 60's just about the only preview magazine out there was Smith and Street. Larry Felser wrote the AFL and Bob Oates the NFL. Through adolescene my journalistic heros were those two, Tex Maule of SI, Paul Zimmerman and Brent Musberger, who worked at a Chicago paper and wrote the best Pro Football Weekly column. In those days there were not many guys with national exposure so those guys were basically the national pro football press corps for a kid.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

A giant in WNY. I also read once he's in the iconic Joe Namath pool shot, but I'm not exactly sure which guy he is.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Musburger.

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting the tributes, Pseudo. Indeed, may Mr. Felser RIP.

8. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

I had the opportunity to interview Larry for a story I did last year on a mid-60s Bills star, Tom Sestak. He couldn't have been more gracious, helpful or quotable. It was one of those conversations where you hang up and wonder "Was I just on the phone for 20 minutes, 45 minutes or an hour and a half?"

That story just won an award a couple weeks ago, yet I can't help but think it was more because of Felser's quotes than anything I came up with myself. He made me a better writer without even knowing it. I think that's the kind of impact all of us aspire to have.

Draft saved Draft deleted