1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Lamar Hunt

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KP, Dec 14, 2006.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

RIP to one of the men who made the NFL what it is today.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

This is how great Lamar Hunt was: I busted deadline to get his obit on the cover.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No doubt, the KC legends seem to be falling one by one. And the NFL's pioneers seem to be doing the same.

RIP Lamar.

4. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Hear, hear to that. RIP Mr. Hunt.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

what a loss. what a class act. like wellington mara, he set an example for the other owners that the league comes first. until his kast hospital stay, he was an owner you could call at his home!! imagine that.

RIP, mr. hunt.

6. Great man, my ass.
    A corrupt old reactionary from a family full of them -- and a Dallas reactionary, on top of it.
    And I liked the AFL.

7. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

And I heard he had a part in killing JFK as well... ::)

8. joe king

joe king Active Member

Once, during the AFL days, some paper wrote that Lamar was losing $1 million a year on his team (that was a lot on those days). When someone asked Lamar's dad, H.L. (a real corrupt old reactionary, from what I understand) how long Lamar could afford to keep losing that kind of money, H.L. smiled and said, ``About 150 years.''

I had several dealings with Lamar Hunt and always found him to be gracious, informative, candid and very accessible. Sorry to see him go.

9. http://www.history-matters.com/archive/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh25/html/WC_Vol25_0112b.htm

A little something that's not in the obit.

10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

It's got to be hard hating so many things at the same time. How do you keep track?

A spreadsheet, right?

11. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Two things....

1) That has nothing to do with anything. The names Jack Ruby and Lamar Hunt are in the same document. It doesn't say they knew each other, simply that the woman hoped Ruby knew Hunt and that Ruby drove her to his office. The woman had secured the intereview with Hunt beforehand without Ruby's knowledge...but whatever, I don't proclaim to know whether or not there was any connection betwen the two outside of this document.

2) More importantly, why the venom? You act as if he pissed in your cornflakes every morning for the past 30 years.

12. It's not a question of hate or venom.
    The guy was great for the NFL, even better for professional soccer, and he appears to have been polite and civil to all the people who dealt with him in those capacities. That is good for him.
    He also was ankle-deep in some of the foulest politics of the 20th century. This, to me, is worthy of note, and makes him considerably less of a great man, in my opinion.

Draft saved Draft deleted