1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Lamar Hunt and George Halas ... trophies

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mb, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Redesigning the Lombardi Trophy is about the stupidest idea the NFL has ever had. It's the kind of ideas businesses get before they REALLY start fucking up.

2. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Indeed, a uneccessary and bad idea.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I didn't have a problem with the tweaking of "the shield" because it made sense. Don't know if I have a problem with the new SB logo because a) other than New Orleans (mardi gras) it's kind of hard to conger up a logo that "says" Indianapolis or Dallas. Though I don't know if I could tell the difference between any domed stadium outside of New Orleans.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That logo sucks. It's oddly shaped -- neither square nor rectangular. Neither vertical nor horizontal.

It lacks color, and I'll bet it looks like shit in black and white.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The commissioner can't help nail down labor peace but he wants to fuck with logos and trophies.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The Danny Snyder trophy is shaped like an ice cream cone.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Goodell, the guy who tried re-inventing the perfect wheel.

What an asshat.

The Pro Bowl debacle.

He ditched the NFL Experience and made the week moribund for anyone who has a family.

Ruining a KEY part of what made each Super Bowl unique, the logo.

What's next, having the teams in the Super Bowl wear Pro Bowl-like uniforms for the Super Bowl.

Someone has to kick Goodell's ass out of there.

Putz.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

they're redesigning the trophies/logos? ??? ??? ???

um, who the eff cares? 8) ::) :( :D

i'm both a huge fan who also has covered the shield for almost 27 years a i sure don't give a crap. settle down, folks. 8) 8) 8)

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Yep.

It doesn't mean anything to you. That's not who these changes are SUPPOSED to matter to. It's supposed to matter to the people who, um, PAY to go to the games. Who have skin in the game.

Fucking awful.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Wait until there's a Super Bowl host site in Europe. If not that, a team there. Eighteen-game regular season schedule, the game ripped from its statistical moorings, trainer's rooms at full capacity in November. Maybe the playoff field will be expanded and we'll finally get to see a 7-9 team in the playoffs, or a Super Bowl in March.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

When you roll the balls out there and the networks fork over $3 billion a year there really isn't much else to do but screw with the logos, ref uniforms and trophies - unless making sure there is a season in two years counts by settling a labor deal, or doing all you can to make sure your players are as safe as possible when they play counts.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

This is a joke. Why mess with something good? The logos? I liked how they were different. And that they had color. The new ones are bland and generic. Changing the trophies, especially the Lombardi? Disgraceful. It's been the same since 1967. It stands for something. Why the need to change stuff? There's nothing wrong with tradition.

Draft saved Draft deleted