1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Lamar Hunt and George Halas ... trophies

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mb, Feb 4, 2010.

1. mb

mb Active Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=4886793

NFL changing the way it creates Super Bowl logos and shitcanning the AFC and NFC Championship trophies.

I believe this will suck much ass.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The article said that they were changing the designs of the trophies. It didn't say that they weren't going to be named after Halas and Hunt.

Maybe they'll keep the names, but change the design.

3. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I didn't see where they said they were shitcanning the AFC and NFC trophies, it just said they were changing the design. And it definitely didn't say anything about changing their names.

But I like the fact that each Super Bowl logo had its own design. Who cares about having the stadium incorporated in the logo each year? I imagine that had a lot to do with Jerrah and getting that monstrocity into the logo.

4. mb

mb Active Member

OK, technically they may still be called the same thing.

Maybe I've just gotten used to the trophies, but I don't see any reason to change them.

5. mb

mb Active Member

And I love this ...

Huh? You're five years away from 50, which I'd think might just possibly be a tiny bit bigger deal than 45.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Sounds like a mini-Lombardi Trophy. Which seems to me that it will take away from the uniqueness of that trophy. The NFL is failing with this one.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It's all for JerryWorld.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

And I had hopes the Chiefs would win the Lamar Hunt Trophy at least once in my lifetime.

9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I definitely dislike the standardizing of the SB logos. I liked seeing what they would original ideas they would come up with for each Super Bowl.

10. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

http://tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=308924

If I'm understanding this article correctly, the Lombardi Trophy itself is getting a makeover every year to include a model of the stadium hosting that game. If true, that's a horrifyingly bad idea.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Some have been better than others over the years, but I agree. Was looking forward to what my town would have had for the 2012 logo. Standardizing sucks.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It's all about making JerryWorld part of the trophy.

The Cotton Bowl did the same thing with their trophy this year.

Draft saved Draft deleted