1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Lacy Banks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Sad news as Banks died today. Age 68. An absolute pioneer in our business and a kind and wise man. First African American sports writer at the Sun-Times.

http://t.co/QjJUsxVi

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

He was as close to Michael Jordan as any reporter in Chicago. It's a shame to see him go so young.

As an aside, sort of, this sentence threw me off: "He was a Baptist preacher for nearly 60 years, too, a side of himself he could uniquely intertwine into his career as a journalist."

Was he really a preacher at age 9, or is that a typo of some sort (meaning to say he was a Baptist for nearly 60 years or he was a preacher for nearly 50 years, perhaps)?

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Sad to hear this.

4. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

So sad. Read his stuff religiously when I was a kid; one of my favorite writers. Absolutely admired his work.

5. Colton

Colton Active Member

Had the pleasure of meeting him many times during the Cavaliers-Bulls playoff battles during the MJ era and he was always a decent guy to me and I enjoyed his work.

RIP, Mr. Banks.

6. lblong

lblong New Member

@ Versatile, yes, believe it or not, Lacy really did start preaching at age 9! I can vouch for that because Lacy was my uncle. My grandfather was also a Baptist preacher, and when he saw that Lacy had the gift, he allowed him to share it. Not only did Lacy start preaching at age 9, he was a traveling preacher, preaching at churches in different towns in Mississippi where he was born. He started at 9 and continued to preach the gospel for the rest of his life.

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Wow, that's quite a story. Sorry for your loss, but it seems like you were very proud of Mr. Banks. That's always a great thing.

Didn't really know him, but back when I used to cover some NBA, remember how people used to react. He'd come around Toronto and Lenny Wilkens would chat him up while Antonio Davis rubbed his head.

RIP.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The man did me one enormous favor once upon a time . . . a favor he had no personal reason to execute -- or give a single shit about doing.

RIP.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Very sad. I grew up on those Bulls championship teams, and we were a Sun-Times family. So I read him daily until I went to college, and then picked back up on his coverage in the summer. His words were the soundtrack to those titles, for me.

10. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

You played for the Bulls? Just teasing.

Very sad news to hear about the passing of Mr. Banks. He'll be missed.

RIP

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Very sad... Definitely Jordan's favorite writer among the Chicago writers, although I think there were some stories in "Nothing Else Matters" about how Jordan was known to torment him.

RIP.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

RIP to a true giant and mentor.

Draft saved Draft deleted