1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Kurt Vonnegut

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I love the part in Slaugherhouse Five where Billy Pilgrim becomes slightly unstuck in time and watches a WWII bomber movie backwards -- the Germans have tubs that repair planes and suck shrapnel from wounded soldiers, the German fighters repair the planes even more and them the bombers open their doors and suck the fire from the town and put it into tubes and load it back onto the plane.

An off-kilter way of looking at things that really resonates.

2. I never knew Vonnegut worked at SI

Great story

http://thewade.blogs.com/my_weblog/2007/04/honoring_a_cham.html

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Billy Pilgrim went through a lot of crap.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

"Slaughterhouse Five", "Catch 22" and "All Quiet on the Western Front" may be the three greatest anti-war novels of the 20th century.

RIP, Kurt.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Good thread. Good writer.

My personal favorite is Cat's Cradle, for simple existence of ice-nine, an extremely provocative idea and doomsday scenario.

Vonnegut's eight rules for writing a short story:

1. Use the time of a total stranger in such a way that he or she will not feel the time was wasted.

2. Give the reader at least one character he or she can root for.

3. Every character should want something, even if it is only a glass of water.

4. Every sentence must do one of two things -- reveal character or advance the action.

5. Start as close to the end as possible.

6. Be a sadist. No matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them -- in order that the reader may see what they are made of.

7. Write to please just one person. If you open a window and make love to the world, so to speak, your story will get pneumonia.

8. Give your readers as much information as possible as soon as possible. To heck with suspense. Readers should have such complete understanding of what is going on, where and why, that they could finish the story themselves, should cockroaches eat the last few pages.

6. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Video of Vonnegut with Jon Stewart, 09/14/05:

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2007/04/12/kurt-vonnegut-on-the-daily-show/

7. John

John Well-Known Member

Three of my favorite novels. You could certainly add Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo to that list, as well.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

RIP, Kurt.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

All great books. Two of them use comedy overtly or lightly mocking war.

None of them are shrill about being anti-war.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Outstanding.

Draft saved Draft deleted