1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Kobe Bryant

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Jan 26, 2020.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

"devoted husband" - you ever hear anyone described as a "devoted wife?" (long-suffering, sure).
    "devout" is another one that gets thrown around a lot - means you show up at church a lot and are very public with your faith - a lot of people described as devout are scumbags.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

This reminds me of when Tim Horton died in a car crash in 1974, returning to Buffalo from a game in Toronto, where he had been a beloved player for the Leafs for so many years. He obviously wasn't the national figure Bryant was (in Canada he may have been, in Toronto he clearly was as big as Bryant was in LA), but in the pre-twitter, 24/7 new-sports cycle it was absolutely shocking to wake up the next morning to hear he was dead. I think the Sabres played that night in Buffalo, too.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Tuesday's Lakers-Clippers game has been postponed.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Suit from person who just put down big bucks per TSP's post coming in 5 ... 4 ... 3

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Which might give Staples court graphic designer time to correct apostrophe.

/petpeeve

bigpern23 likes this.
  7. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

My guess is the Lakers want more time to put together a proper tribute.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

My bet is that they are going to do something like rename the court after him

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

They might be renaming the whole city after him.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

True. Just like O.J. Simpson is not a murderer. (By criminal trial standards.)

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

And let me make clear what my point in the above post is.

Is there going to be a 24-hour rule for other miscreants who escaped the long arm of the law like some expected/got emotional about for Kobe Bryant?

I'll hang up and listen.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The only religious groups described as “devout” are Catholics and maybe Mormons. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that word ascribed to Hindus.

Draft saved Draft deleted