1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Kitty Carlisle Hart

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, Apr 18, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

You youngsters might not know of her, but she was a grand lady.
    NEW YORK (AP) — Kitty Carlisle Hart, whose long career spanned Broadway, opera, television and film, including the classic Marx Brothers movie “A Night at the Opera,” has died at age 96, her son said Wednesday.
    Christopher Hart said his mother had been in and out of the hospital since contracting pneumonia over the Christmas holidays.
    “She passed away peacefully” at home, said Hart. “She had such a wonderful life, and a great long run, it was a blessing.”
    Hart had appeared for years on the popular game show “To Tell the Truth” as a celebrity panelist.
    The entertainer was also a tireless advocate for the arts, serving 20 years on the New York State Council on the Arts. In 1991, she received the National Medal of Arts from the first President Bush.
    Well known for her starring role as Rosa Castaldi in the 1935 movie “A Night at the Opera,” her other film credits included: “She Loves Me Not” and “Here Is My Heart,” both opposite Bing Crosby; Woody Allen’s “Radio Days”; and “Six Degrees of Separation.”
    She began her acting career on Broadway in “Champagne Sec,” and went on to appear in many other Broadway productions, including the 1984 revival of “On Your Toes.”
    She made her operatic debut at the Metropolitan Opera in 1967 in “Die Fledermaus,” and created the role of Lucretia in the American premiere of Benjamin Britten’s “Rape of Lucretia.”
    From 1956 to 1967, she appeared on the CBS prime-time game show “To Tell the Truth” with host Bud Collyer and fellow panelists such as Polly Bergen, Johnny Carson, Bill Cullen and Don Ameche. The show featured three contestants, all claiming to be the same person. The panelists asked them questions to determine which was telling the truth. (The popular show also had runs, sometimes including Carlisle, in daytime and in syndicated versions.)
    Hart’s late husband was the Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright Moss Hart, who wrote “You Can’t Take It With You” and “The Man Who Came to Dinner” with George S. Kaufman and won a Tony for directing “My Fair Lady” on Broadway.

2. RIP to the most beautiful thing in a very funny movie.

[​IMG]

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

R.I.P. to an amazing and versatile lady who once dated CBS founder William Paley.

I'm just old enough to remember her on "To Tell The Truth," but did see her in "Night at the Opera." :-[

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

I can still hear the announcer........."Ms. Kitty Car-lisle"

5. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Game Show Network had been showing old clips of To Tell The Truth from way back when they were doing Black And White Overnight and, of course, she was on. I always wondered who she was but then I saw one of those Broadway specials on PBS and they explained her vast amount of work on the stage.

RIP to a grand dame.

6. They always got dressed up in formal evening wear. That's what I remember. Like they'd just come from the theater.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Um, "Ms" was just a gleam in Ms. Steinem's ear when this show was on.

It was "Miss Kitty Carl---lisle".

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Exactly what I was thinking when I saw the thread title. Wonder how Orson Bean is doing these days. He was always good for a chuckle on that show.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Charles Nelson Reilly? Brett Sommers?

10. Chef

Chef Active Member

Not to threadjack.......but in Stern's Private Parts movie........the "Match Game" skit was undoubtedly the funniest part of the movie.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

And behaved in a formal manner, too. Fascinating to watch.

Draft saved Draft deleted