1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP King Kong Bundy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

RIP to a legend.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Awww, one of my faves.

3. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

A tremendous old school heel.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

One of the first heels that I remember just as I started watching wrestling. RIP

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Just posted this on the wrestling thread:

In my junior hockey days we were on the road in Owen Sound, Ontario, a small town a few hours northwest of Toronto on a Wednesday night in mid-March, 2002. I walk into the media room to get a coffee and suddenly blurt out, "Holy shit, it's King Kong Bundy!" at the sight of the great man sitting alone at a table. He looks up which is my cue to walk over and ask him what the hell he is doing here. He said he was promoting an indie card he was appearing on in a few weeks.

We talked a little hockey - he said he was a big Flyers fan - and then I got to the point: "You had Hogan beat on Saturday Night's Main Event! He was down and out! One-two-three" - I pounded the table for emphasis - "but you were too busy working the crowd! Was it an ego thing? You could have been the champ!"

Ever the pro, he looks at me, doesn't change his expression and says, "Yeah, I think about it all the time."

RIP to one of the greatest big men ever.

6. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Was a big fan of his.

[​IMG]

RIP

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

61? Man, I thought he was like 45 or 50 back in the 80s. That's what baldness and heft will do to skew a kid's perception of age. RIP.

Batman likes this.
  8. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

My hockey team was very nearly named the Bundy Fives. Instead we went with something else but threw a Bundy tribute patch on the back.

John B. Foster likes this.
  9. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Bundy on a card in Owen Sound. I can’t imagine what the crowd would have been like.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I loved, loved "Saturday Night's Main Event." NBC should have had that three times a month and SNL once, not the other way around.

Sea Bass and Huggy like this.
  11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

It was awesome to get quality matches in the days long before RAW and monthly pay per views, all you ever got on the weekend shows were squashes.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Was thinking the same thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted