1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Kevin Duckworth

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

That's an excellent point, ItalianStallion.

Marfan Syndrome -- a genetic disorder that causes weakness in the connective tissue -- is the disease that typically strikes those with a tall, lean build with long limbs -- sort of like Michael Phelps.

It's what killed former volleyball standout Flo Hyman and historians believe Abraham Lincoln had it, among others like Joey Ramone and SportsJournalists.com board favorite, the late Vincent Schiavelli, who were diagnosed with it.

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Michael Phelps doesn't have Marfan's. Read a story last week that said a lot of people think he does, and he's been tested, but doesn't. He apparently also wrote about not having it in his autobiography. Definitely remember when Flo Hyman died from it.

Edit: Checking around, it looks like some people with Marfan's are convinced Phelps has it but is downplaying having it, which they're disappointed in. He apparently gets tested for it every year but remains cleared - obviously - to compete.

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Thanks, SG.

I never heard about him having it until this week and I don't think people were saying he had it, just that he has the build of someone who would.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I can't say there'd be much of a surprise if anything heart-related turned out to be the cause.

RIP, Duck.

5. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I wasn't aware of all the talk about Phelps. I see that there has been a lot of discussion in the past week or so.

Here's something from a Web site called the Cleveland Dealer (not to be confused with the Plain Dealer, of course):

In his book, "Michael Phelps: Beneath the Surface" written by both Phelps and Brian Cazeneuve, Phelps describes the syndrome:

"My heart rate was accelerating and Bob suggested I see the doctor. Because I was very flexible and had long hands and feet. I had some early symptoms of Marfan Syndrome, a disease that affects connective tissues and can be fatal if there is leakage to the vessels that lead to the heart. If you reach out your arms and form a T and your wingspan is longer than your height, you can be at risk. In my case, those measurements have always been very close. I didn't know at the time why the doctor decided to look into this. My mom and Bob didn't want me to freak out, so they told me it was simply a good idea for young athletes to have an EKG test in order to look at the heart.

Fortunately everything was, and still is, okay. I have been tested once a year ever since at John's Hopkins under the direction of Dr. Peter Roe and the tissues are strong, the aortic rout is clear and my heart is in good shape - as long as my Baltimore Ravens are winning."

It sounds like there's no definitive answer as to whether he has it. But his doctors are monitoring him. There's not much more he can do.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Autopsy shows Duckworth died of an enlarged heart.

Draft saved Draft deleted