1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Kent Hull

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Apparent heart attack at age 51. Best known as Jim Kelly's center with the Buffalo Bills. Great career at Mississippi State as well ...

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article599069.ece

2. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Just saw this on the wire. From everything I've heard and read, he was one of the class guys.

3. Madhavok

Madhavok Active Member

Terrible news. Kent Hull was quite the household name in WNY during his time with the Bills. RIP.

4. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

I didn't get a chance to interview him, but I remember seeing him when he was inducted to the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame a few years back. His size just struck me. Dude was massive. Huge barrel chest and hands that I think could've made my head look like a grape in his fingers.
    And, like Albert said, he had a good reputation as a nice guy.
    RIP.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Guy was an absolute rock on those great Bills teams of the 90's. RIP, 50 is way too young.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That early 90s Bills team will never get its full due as one of the NFL's best, because they never won the Super Bowl. But they had an incredible run, and Hull was one of the team's best contributors. RIP

Oh, and he was excellent blocking for Herschel Walker on the USFL Generals as well.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

One of the greatest centers ever.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article599109.ece

8. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Active Member

Morning everyone.

As Albert and Steak mentioned, Kent was a great guy, a fun guy, with a quick wit, a good heart and a kind soul.

I interviewed him several times over the years. I'm going to be writing a column on him for my web site later today.

The most memorable interview was when I caught up with him on a golf cart, at the Grand Bear, when he was playing in a charity golf tournament. He was knockin' down a few cold beers, on a warm day down here -- and isn't this fall weather lovely (and unexpected) -- and engaging, funny, cool.

This was right after Jackie Sherrill had been forced out at State, resigned, retired, whatever you wanna call it, and I was the first one to say he had to go. It got me in trouble with my own editors (imagine that), but I stuck to my guns, and a year or so later, everybody else realized I was right, he'd lost his edge, his junior college pipeline was runnin' out, and Jackie's obvious lack of PR and media skills was hurting a remote school already facing obstacles ...

Kent finished up on the 18th hole and said, "You know, everybody had told me you were an asshole, but they were wrong ... you're all right."

Any time I ever needed him after that, he'd get back to me within a few hours. And man, was he funny.

I'm gonna miss him.

RIP Kent.

9. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

I'm a huge Bills fan and, although I never met up with him, felt as though I had through the tellings of others ... plenty of audio tributes to him are posted at www.wgr550.com ... my prayers go out to his family and loved ones

10. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Kent was certainly a gamer, and one of the most accomplished pro athletes to come out of MSU.
    I never met him, but I watched him play numerous games as I finished high school and enrolled at State.
    By all accounts he was a down-to-earth, genuine person.
    RIP, Kent Hull.

Draft saved Draft deleted