1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Ken Ober (host of MTV's game show Remote Control)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Nov 16, 2009.

1. patchs

patchs Active Member

I was a contestant on Remote Control 20 years ago when I was in college.
    Ober was funny and very nice to the contestants, he signed an autograph for me.
    It was one of the coolest experiences in my life even though I didn't win (that's the idea, isn't it?).
    RIP Ken, I hope you're now hosting a game show in the attic.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Absolutely one of my favorite game shows ever...

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Along with my favorite guilty pleasure -- Beavis and Butt-head -- one of my favorite two MTV shows ever. My roomie and I used to watch this in college and just crack the hell up.

Ober was hilarious, especially the one category (help me out here, folks) where they blew up his head until all you saw was this giant cranium and he talked in this deep, evil voice.

Aside from that, my favorite memory of Ober was on the notorious "Dead or Canadian" category. The character was Lorne Greene, who had just died and after the contestant guessed correctly (naturally), Ober took malicious glee in that inimitable way of his by pointing out that this was a trick question and Greene was actually Dead AND Canadian.

RIP to an original who should have done a lot more.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

No offense to bydesign or Birdscribe, but THIS is the coolest TV game show anyone from the board has ever said they were on.

What was it like to crash through the wall? Did the guy with the chainsaw cut you?? :D

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

None taken. I think it would have been a blast as well.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Coolest not the same as most prestigious, of course.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Nothing beats Price is Right for an 18yr old freshman at 10 am (instead of attending Chem 1A lecture hall with 600 others).

8. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I enjoyed "Remote Control" a great deal, too.

And Marisol was very nice, I think Kari's successor or predecessor, one of the other.

"Stud Boy," Colin Quinn, it was all a hoot.

RIP Mr. Ober.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I won $17,000 playing Hollywood Showdown a few years back..

and finished 2nd on Fox Sports Geniuses. I won one of those big, 400 pound, 32-inch tvs.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

11. patchs

patchs Active Member

I was in the chair that got pulled up, it was like getting ready to blast off.
    None of my fellow contestants wanted to sit in it, so I did.
    I really can't say enough how much fun it was.
    Everyone was great, the show taped in NYC, something in the 100s street.
    We had pizza for lunch, they taped 5 shows a day, I was ready to go but they made me wait until the last show, by then I was nervous.
    In one break, I was told to stop tapping my foot.
    I finished second, but it was a blast.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That show gave me hella nightmares when I was a kid. I was scared of being pulled back through a wall into hell.

Draft saved Draft deleted