1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP~ Kelly Jo Dowd

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, May 25, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

In case no one heard of the story, Kelly Jo Dowd, the mother of top junior golfer Dakoda Dowd, passed away yesterday after battling breast, bone, liver and brain cancer. ESPN brought the two in the spotlight when Kelly Jo was able to see her daughter play in an LPGA Tour event (the Ginn Open) before she passed. She was 42.

Here's the article. It really is a tough story and the two look absolutely beautiful. One of my mom's close friends looks like she's winning the battle on breast cancer, so I can empathize with the situation a little. God has one more angel now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=2882571

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I remember that story. Damn. RIP.

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

There aren't many 14-year-olds who could have handled this with the class and courage that Dakota did.

Sad story indeed. RIP.

4. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

a family that used every second of its 15 minutes in a touching, passionate, wonderful way. RIP.

Make a sandwich instead of grabbing fast food for a day and send your extra $5 to makingmemories.org.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

That was one of the few things ESPN's done right in the last few years.

Knew this ending was coming but it still sucks. Nothing sadder than a kid growing up without a parent. RIP.

6. So sad, I wondered what happened to the family after ESPN ran that touching piece, now I know for sure. R.I.P, Mrs. Dowd

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

:'(

One of the few times I don't mind ESPN going over-the-top with a story.

Keep Pounding, Dakoda. Mom will be proud.

8. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Damn, this is sad. I remember when I saw her story on ESPN a while back.

RIP

9. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I don't follow the LPGA, so forgive me if I don't know better: why doesn't the LPGA have a Mother's Day outing and turn it into a memorial for Dowd, use pink balls (hold the jokes, please), shoes and whatever else they can do, then auction it off to raise money for cancer treatment and research?

Me? I think I'll buy myself a pink bat from MLB. Then go to my mom, give her a hug & a kiss and tell her that I love her.

10. excellent ideas.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Wow... it's like Morgan Pressel all over again.

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

My prayers are with the Dowds.

Wishing them the best of luck as they go through this.

Draft saved Draft deleted