1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Kay Yow

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by derwood, Jan 24, 2009.

1. highlander

highlander Member

Not that they were in the same league as coaches but first Maggie Dixon and now Kay Yow. College athletics lost a good one in Yow.

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

If she scored 52 points in a high school game, she certainly could have had a decent college career. Sadly, as Voepel's piece points out, East Carolina didn't have a team when she went to school there.

Kay and Debbie couldn't be more different, though. Debbie strikes be as being a little odd at times.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Outstanding. Thanks, Sam.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I was afraid this was coming when I read the initial story when she announced she was sitting out the rest of the season.

There are few better role models for how to keep the cancer from keeping you from living your life to the fullest.

RIP Kay. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I saw one of the highlights from the NCSU girls wearing the pink jerseys, each with "Yow" across the back, and it got a little dusty. A lot, actually.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Sad news. A true legend.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Try the cover photo for the media guide as linked above. That almost got me long before it was announced that she was sitting out the rest of the season, much less today.

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Absolutely. RIP to one of the classiest people in all of sport.

9. vivbernstein

vivbernstein Member

I interviewed Coach Yow last year at the start of the season. I've never met a coach so accomplished and yet so approachable and down to earth. I mentioned during the interview that my sister-in-law was battling breast cancer as well. Later, as the interview ended, Coach Yow made a point to say she would pray for my sister-in-law.

RIP, Coach.

10. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/ncsu/womens_basketball/story/1380259.html

http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20090124/ARTICLES/901242991/1155?Title=Grief_from_Yow_s_death_felt_around_Cape_Fear_region

11. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Damn. No timeouts left. You done good, Kay. I'll wear my pink shirt to work on Monday for you.

Rest in peace. There's a chair next to the scorer's table for you.

12. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

RIP to a classy woman. Heaven's media guide will give her a 2-1 record vs. Cancer.

Draft saved Draft deleted