1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Karl Malden

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by OTD, Jul 1, 2009.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

To be more specific, Stone caught a gig teaching criminology at U.C. Berkeley.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

That was chilling stuff.

No matter how goofy and funny Gary Cole has become in recent years - The Brady Bunch Movie, Kim Possible, Dodgeball, Pineapple Express, etc. - I will never, ever forget his portrayal of Jeffrey MacDonald.

3. DanOregon

Gary Cole is the kind of actor I'd want to be if I was an actor. He can do pretty much anything. Another West Wing alum. He was on the Benjamin Bratt A&E Show "The Cleaner" last week and he was damn good as a news anchor who starts using speed and drinking when he learns his wife, who is also a recovering addict, has terminal cancer. That's one of those shows I'd willingly give up if it just wasn't so damn interesting and the acting so good.

Great trivia - who is the other very well known actor who also appeared in The West Wing that with Cole was a finalist for one of the leads in Miami Vice?

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Also had a really good, small role in a tremendous movie, A Simple Plan.

I remember that in the second season of Project Greenlight (with Shia), there was a casting call and they went with William Sadler over Gary Cole.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Agreed. And thought he captured the MacDonald that McGinniss wrote about to a tee.

Oh, and Michael Douglas may have gotten the crazy idea to leave Streets of San Francisco for films from producing a little movie named 'One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest'. Academy Awards can color one's thinking on career choices.

6. DanOregon

I'm heading out of town in a couple of hours, so I'll give the Miami Vice answer - according to IMDB, Cole and Jimmy Smitts were the runners-up for the roles of Crockett and Tubbs.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You have to wonder if Miami Vice would have worked as well with Mike Brady and Victor Sifuentes instead of Sonny Crockett and Rico Tubbs.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

He was fucking brilliant as a Mike Brady parodist.

"As a wise man once said - wherever you go, there you are."

Knowing what we now know about Robert Reed's conflicted feelings about the character (among other things, but I digress), I suspect he would have pissed his pants with laughter had he seen Gary Cole's work.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah, he was so good as Mike Brady, it's almost unnerving. Eery time I see that movie, I get a little more freaked out by just how good he was.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Not to mention his decidedly different role in "Office Space." Another winner.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

ummmmm, yeahhhhh..... 8) 8) 8)

nice threadjack, by the by. ;) ;) ;)

12. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I remember that mini-series. NBC broadcasted it. I wanted to watch it so badly as a kid, my parents nixed that idea real fast. I was so naive that I didn't think McDonald whacked his family. About 5 years later, I was old enough to watch part of the mini-series.

Gary Cole scared the shit out of me with that performance. That was, until seeing "Midnight Caller" and I started to warm up to him.

Draft saved Draft deleted