1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Karl Malden

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by OTD, Jul 1, 2009.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Jeez. Michael Jackson has 25 active threads. Doesn't Karl Malden rate a measly two?

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Yes, it was. And whoever pointed out how great the opening was, take a bow. I used to watch this show every night on re-runs. One of the great cop shows of that -- or any -- era.

Trivia Time: Malden had two sidekicks in "Streets of San Francisco." Michael Douglas was one. Who was the other?

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Richard Hatch. He got his start as Phil Brent on All My Children. They killed his character off so that he could take on the role as Malden's sidekick.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I don't if winning an Emmy counts as underrated, but don't forget about him in "Fatal Vision."

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Sekulovich was Malden's real last last name.

A 27-year-old Fred Gwynne was in On The Waterfront as a worker.

His character's name? Sekulovich

6. Sammi

Sammi Member

Interviewed Jimmy Piersall one time. Gave several "controversial" soundbites. On 'Fear Strikes Out,' he said, "I'm the only person who ever had two [gays] (Malden, Tony Perkins) play him in a movie." Played all his bites verbatim and got a few calls from outraged viewers. As I told them, "I didn't say those things. He did. I'm just putting them out there."

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Amazing to think a guy who usually played a supporting role could do this but , (from Wikipedia) "Malden often found ways to say "Sekulovich" in films and television shows in which he appears. For example, as General Omar Bradley in Patton, as his troops slog their way through enemy fire in Sicily, Malden says "Hand me that helmet, Sekulovich" to another soldier. In Dead Ringer, as a police detective in the squad room, Malden tells another detective: "Sekulovich, gimme my hat." In Fear Strikes Out, Malden, playing Jimmy Piersall's father John, introduces Jimmy to a baseball scout named Sekulovich. In Birdman of Alcatraz, as a prison warden touring the cell block, Malden recites a list of inmates' names, including Sekulovich. Malden's father was not pleased, as he told his son 'Mladen, no Sekulovich has ever been in prison!' Perhaps the most notable usage of his real name was in the TV series The Streets of San Francisco. Malden's character in the program, Mike Stone, employed a legman (played by Art Metrano) with that name, who did various errands. Also, in On the Waterfront, in which Malden plays the priest, among the names of the officers of Local 374 called out in the courtroom scene is Mladen Sekulovich, Delegate."

And Malden and his wife (who survives him) were married for over 70 years and have at least one daughter. Now I realize he was a great actor, but if he was gay, that is really committing to the part.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

I didn't know Malden was gay. I'd heard that about Perkins.

9. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Cowbell,

Good get on the name. Two Three galoots who fought Joe Louis as well, Abe Simon, Two-Ton Tony Galento and Tami Mauriello.

o-<

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

DING-DING-DING... Well done, Drip.

Extra points and a trip into the bonus round for the AMC reference.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Why did Douglass' character Michael Stone leave the SFPD?

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Douglas wanted to do films. His character's absence was explained by having him take a teaching position at a local college, while Lt. Stone was partnered with another detective, Insp. Dan Robbins, played by Richard Hatch, who had started his career on the ABC soap All My Children and would later go on to Battlestar: Galactica. The change was not popular with audiences, and the show ended in 1977, due to low ratings. Also in 1977, writer James J. Sweeney won an Edgar Award from the Mystery Writers of America for his teleplay for the season four episode "Requiem for Murder."

Draft saved Draft deleted