1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Junior Seau

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 2, 2012.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That is so messed up. Ugh.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Fall back on AP and San Diego U-T and the others if you must, but TMZ confirmed it. They don't get this stuff wrong.

3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Jesus, what were you going to ask if he'd answered? "So, sucks about your wife, but how do you think the team will do in your absence?"

Damn, fuck that. I'll mop toilets or flip burgers before I ever do that.

4. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Holy cow. RIP. he was one of my favorite players growing up. I agree that the issue of steroids/concussions need to be seriously looked at. I wonder what the numbers of deceased wrestlers compared NFLers looks like. Just curious.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

RIP

Don't ever think NFL players are paid too much.

6. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Local TV station also reporting it, although their sourcing is dubious: http://www.10news.com/news/30993007/detail.html

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Jesus. I just saw this headline and choked.

So sad that he couldn't have given more of a hint yesterday in his texts. Something that might have saved him.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

What are you referring to here?

9. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

But that question has to be asked in light of Seau's career....he hung on way past his prime trying to get a Super Bowl ring. How much damage both physical and mental did he endure trying to keep playing for so long? Not even retired three years and dead.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

This will be discussed at great length, but right now might be a little soon.

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Obviously when it's an NFL player the brain/concussion issue is going to be a factor or it could be he had depression unrelated to those factors or could have been a spur of the moment decision that lasts forever.

But there have been studies that show the best predictor of suicide is previous attempts. Wonder what type of help he got after that incident, it it was one. I know he said it wasn't.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

"Yeah....I am so and so from the such and such weekly.....I hear that your 12-year old child just killed himself.......what can you tell us about it?"

Disgusting journalism.

Draft saved Draft deleted